Loading up on Hops - What Kind to Get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougfan

Reaction score
OK, so I am not going to go into details, but I have a connection to get lots of hops for a GREAT deal (almost free). (it is all legal, I promise). My question is, what type should I get? I am kinda new to brewing and don't have a lot of experience with different hops. I am looking for a list of eight to ten varieties to ask for. I will be getting them in large quantities (~2 lbs). I have my ideas, but I would like to hear suggestions. Thanks, John:mug:

Are you looking to resell or hang on to them?

That will make a big difference.

8-10 varieties is a *lot* you could get pretty much everything you'd need.

What beers do you like? That would help. Honestly though at 2lbs each of 8-10 varities, you could just choose randomly and come out with hops that would work in anything.

Get a few english hops (fuggle, ekg) a few american ones (cascade, centennial, amarillo, simcoe, etc) a few german ones (hallertau, tettnang, etc). Should cover all your bases.

I am looking to hang on to them for my own brewing. At this point, I would like to stick with ales. All the way from wheat beers to IPAs.

GO FOR HIGH ALPHAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIMCOE
WARRIOR
CHINOOK
COLUMBUS
MAGNUM

you will get more bang for your buck, plus these are more desireable for resale.

:fro:

Back