Yeast cake trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I have an Imperial IPA that was on a wlp007 cake and racked that off to a secondary, then I put a red ale ontop of the cake. That was 12 hours ago and still no fermenting action . I thought the cake would start right away as their is more yeast than if I pitched a vial? Should I be worried? Should I pitch a vial in if no action?

007 is highly focculent and tends to form a taffy-like layer. Stir it up well and it should start.

I shook the s--t out of it after I dumped the beer through a strainer and funnel! no idea what's goin on. Total elapsed time between I IPA and Red was maby 2 mins! That would'nt kill the yeast would it?

The other possibility is the shift from a high ABV environment has shocked the yeast. I've never pitched on the cake from an Imperial. Normally, I'm pitching a high gravity wort on the cake from a low ABV ale. I'd give it 48 hours and re-pitch if necessary then.

david_42 said:
The other possibility is the shift from a high ABV environment has shocked the yeast. I've never pitched on the cake from an Imperial. Normally, I'm pitching a high gravity wort on the cake from a low ABV ale. I'd give it 48 hours and re-pitch if necessary then.

Me too--low ABV to higher ABV on cake. What was the temp of the wort when you pitched it on the cake? If >80*F it may have killed the yeast. If it does start to ferment, keep your eye on it. I always get mega krausen when I pitch on top of a yeast cake. Sometimes it even blows the airlock off. That's usually the best beer, though.

I just remembered that we had a few hot hot days the last week I tried to keep things around 75 but it might not have worked, I bet my yeast is dead, if so should I rack to a clean primary and pitch a new yeast?

gabe said:
I just remembered that we had a few hot hot days the last week I tried to keep things around 75 but it might not have worked, I bet my yeast is dead, if so should I rack to a clean primary and pitch a new yeast?

I should have phrased the question better. I was wondering if you cooled the wort sufficiantly after boiling? If you pitched 120*F wort on top of the cake, that could certainly kill them. On the other hand, with a large amount of yeast in the cake, I don't think ambient temperatures in the mid 70s--while in the primary--will kill them if the wort was cooled enough before pitching. In any event, stir it or shake it to see if there are any signs of life. If not, just pitch fresh yeast. The dead yeast cake won't hurt anything, unless bacteria or some other nasties killed them. I'm sure it'll be fine. Keep us posted.

As I wrote that last reply I heard a bubble from my blow off tube! As if the beer gods were listening--------BBBLLUUPP! Thank You all who have responded and I fear not when it comes to fellow brewers and their wisdom, CHEERS .Heres to you and me and people like us , there's damned few of us left ( SMP )

Back