Mojave Black & Mild (Breakfast Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, before i go on hiatus from brewing and drinking (a whole two weeks!) i have to use up the ingredients i bought last week. I wanted to make another breakfast stout, ready to drink when i go to the mojave desert on the 13th.

It's really a cross between a mild and stout. I'm mashing high (156°F) and going somewhat low on the hops. I've posted style guidelines for both so you can see the comparison.

I can't wait to have a taste of this dark, creamy, full-bodied, low-alcohol stout!
:mug:

Black & Mild

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

11-A English Brown Ale, Mild

Min OG: 1.030 Max OG: 1.038
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 25 Color in SRM, Lovibond

13-A Stout, Dry Stout

Min OG: 1.036 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 25 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.037 Plato: 9.32
Anticipated SRM: 45.0
Anticipated IBU: 20.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.032 SG 7.96 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
36.4 3.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
24.2 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
18.2 1.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
9.1 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
6.1 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575
3.0 0.25 lbs. Carafa II Germany 1.030 450
3.0 0.25 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.30 19.3 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.30 1.6 5 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 8.25
Water Qts: 12.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.45 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.66 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

might as well make this a brew log

8:30 - Just mashed in @ 156°F

Here are the BJCP guidelines for the styles:

11A. Mild

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, and may have some fruitiness. The malt expression can take on a wide range of character, which can include caramelly, grainy, toasted, nutty, chocolate, or lightly roasted. Little to no hop aroma. Very low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Copper to dark brown or mahogany color. A few paler examples (medium amber to light brown) exist. Generally clear, although is traditionally unfiltered. Low to moderate off-white to tan head. Retention may be poor due to low carbonation, adjunct use and low gravity.

Flavor: Generally a malty beer, although may have a very wide range of malt- and yeast-based flavors (e.g., malty, sweet, caramel, toffee, toast, nutty, chocolate, coffee, roast, vinous, fruit, licorice, molasses, plum, raisin). Can finish sweet or dry. Versions with darker malts may have a dry, roasted finish. Low to moderate bitterness, enough to provide some balance but not enough to overpower the malt. Fruity esters moderate to none. Diacetyl and hop flavor low to none.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Generally low to medium-low carbonation. Roast-based versions may have a light astringency. Sweeter versions may seem to have a rather full mouthfeel for the gravity.

Overall Impression: A light-flavored, malt-accented beer that is readily suited to drinking in quantity. Refreshing, yet flavorful. Some versions may seem like lower gravity brown porters.

Comments: Most are low-gravity session beers in the range 3.1-3.8%, although some versions may be made in the stronger (4%+) range for export, festivals, seasonal and/or special occasions. Generally served on cask; session-strength bottled versions don’t often travel well. A wide range of interpretations are possible.

History: May have evolved as one of the elements of early porters. In modern terms, the name “mild” refers to the relative lack of hop bitterness (i.e., less hoppy than a pale ale, and not so strong). Originally, the “mildness” may have referred to the fact that this beer was young and did not yet have the moderate sourness that aged batches had. Somewhat rare in England, good versions may still be found in the Midlands around Birmingham.

Ingredients: Pale English base malts (often fairly dextrinous), crystal and darker malts should comprise the grist. May use sugar adjuncts. English hop varieties would be most suitable, though their character is muted. Characterful English ale yeast.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.030 – 1.038
IBUs: 10 – 25 FG: 1.008 – 1.013
SRM: 12 – 25 ABV: 2.8 – 4.5%

Commercial Examples: Moorhouse Black Cat, Gale’s Festival Mild, Theakston Traditional Mild, Highgate Mild, Sainsbury Mild, Brain’s Dark, Banks's Mild, Coach House Gunpowder Strong Mild, Woodforde’s Mardler’s Mild, Greene King XX Mild, Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster

13A. Dry Stout

Aroma: Coffee-like roasted barley and roasted malt aromas are prominent; may have slight chocolate, cocoa and/or grainy secondary notes. Esters medium-low to none. No diacetyl. Hop aroma low to none.

Appearance: Jet black to deep brown with garnet highlights in color. Can be opaque (if not, it should be clear). A thick, creamy, long-lasting, tan- to brown-colored head is characteristic.

Flavor: Moderate roasted, grainy sharpness, optionally with light to moderate acidic sourness, and medium to high hop bitterness. Dry, coffee-like finish from roasted grains. May have a bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate character in the palate, lasting into the finish. Balancing factors may include some creaminess, medium-low to no fruitiness, and medium to no hop flavor. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium-full body, with a creamy character. Low to moderate carbonation. For the high hop bitterness and significant proportion of dark grains present, this beer is remarkably smooth. The perception of body can be affected by the overall gravity with smaller beers being lighter in body. May have a light astringency from the roasted grains, although harshness is undesirable.

Overall Impression: A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale.

Comments: This is the draught version of what is otherwise known as Irish stout or Irish dry stout. Bottled versions are typically brewed from a significantly higher OG and may be designated as foreign extra stouts (if sufficiently strong). While most commercial versions rely primarily on roasted barley as the dark grain, others use chocolate malt, black malt or combinations of the three. The level of bitterness is somewhat variable, as is the roasted character and the dryness of the finish; allow for interpretation by brewers.

History: The style evolved from attempts to capitalize on the success of London porters, but originally reflected a fuller, creamier, more “stout” body and strength. When a brewery offered a stout and a porter, the stout was always the stronger beer (it was originally called a “Stout Porter”). Modern versions are brewed from a lower OG and no longer reflect a higher strength than porters.

Ingredients: The dryness comes from the use of roasted unmalted barley in addition to pale malt, moderate to high hop bitterness, and good attenuation. Flaked unmalted barley may also be used to add creaminess. A small percentage (perhaps 3%) of soured beer is sometimes added for complexity (generally by Guinness only). Water typically has moderate carbonate hardness, although high levels will not give the classic dry finish.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.036 – 1.050
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.007 – 1.011
SRM: 25 – 40 ABV: 4 – 5%

Commercial Examples: Guinness Draught Stout (also canned), Murphy's Stout, Beamish Stout, O’Hara’s Celtic Stout, Russian River O.V.L. Stout, Three Floyd’s Black Sun Stout, Dorothy Goodbody’s Wholesome Stout, Orkney Dragonhead Stout, Old Dominion Stout, Goose Island Dublin Stout, Brooklyn Dry Stout

9:30 - drain bag and place in 3 gallons sparge water. temp @ 160 (stupid stove)

9:45 - drain bag and pour in original wort, start heat. sitting at just over 5 gallons

i sometimes let the bag sit in a pot for a while, then add the last of whatever drains out to my boil

11:25 - 2nd hops

11:30 - cool

12:30 - poured on S-04 Yeast Cake

I just checked and it hasn't started rolling. good thing, cuz it's sitting at 78°F. i'm gonna go buy some ice for my chiller.

I just posted so you wouldn't be the only one responding to your own thread. ;)

Just playin'. Looks tasty! :mug:

BTW, a hiatus from drinking? What's up with that?

Sounds nice, I brewed a Oatmeal Stout on Oct. 31. Only mine turned out with a 1.075 OG, But I also used a s-04 yeast cake. (on it's 3rd beer)

Let us know how yours turns out.

orange peel? you're crazy.

i used the special (dehusked)...it's the only one they have at my LHBS. i shredded it really fine and sprinkled it on top of the mash...makes it NICE and DARK.

this stuff tasted very chocolatey when i put it in the primary...but i'm a little concerned.

i have not seen ANY activity, and if fermentation occurred during the first 12 hours, it fermented near 80°F :(

I'm always interested in your recipes/ideas. I'll be following this thread. I've never done either a mild or a breakfast. Hell I rarely eat breakfast let alone drink it!!!! :drunk:

my first breakfast stout was more traditional of the "dry stout" with higher IBUs...actually to style. it was damn tasty...we dispensed it with nitro, which made it very smooth like a guinness. here's the recipe:

Breakfast Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-A Stout, Dry Stout

Min OG: 1.036 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 25 Max Clr: 48 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.75
Anticipated OG: 1.034 Plato: 8.65
Anticipated SRM: 30.1
Anticipated IBU: 32.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.029 SG 7.39 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
74.1 5.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
14.8 1.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
7.4 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
3.7 0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.50 27.7 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.50 4.4 10 min.

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 6.75
Water Qts: 8.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.19 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.54 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

this brew tastes fantastic. doesn't taste like a light beer at all...very full. no unpleasant fruitiness, so it must not have fermented as high as i thought. it actually kinda tastes like a porter, there isn't a lot of roast in there and it's nice and sweet.

This will be coming to the desert with me tomorrow. I already have most of the beer loaded up in the truck. I'm taking the following:

Apfelwein (just the 1 gallon remaining)
Kölsch (maybe 2 gallons left...not bad, but never tasted cold)
Hefeweizen (simple, standard recipe...always a winner)
Weizenbock (my first, light colored for the style but VERY good...very alcoholic!)
Mojave Black & Mild (obviously)
Belgian Pale (been in secondary since july)
Rye Pale Ale (with a little chocolate...not sure about this one yet)

My friend will be bringing his Saison. My other friend is bringing his Steam Ale, German Lager, IPA, and i think a couple more.

There are over 20 people going this year and we have tons of great communal meals...spaghetti, meatballs, chicken, pork buns, spare ribs, corn beef hash and tons of breakfast stuffs. good thing i brought snacks, too :D

i'm excited. can't wait to blow sh*t up and then get drunk on homebrew and play dominoes next to a huge ass fire.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

There are over 20 people going this year and we have tons of great communal meals...spaghetti, meatballs, chicken, pork buns, spare ribs, corn beef hash and tons of breakfast stuffs. good thing i brought snacks, too :D

i'm excited. can't wait to blow sh*t up and then get drunk on homebrew and play dominoes next to a huge ass fire.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:[/QUOTE]

Hey DB, looks like a good time. We just got back last weekend(red rock canyon), it was nice weather out there! You need to check out Mojave brewing company on hwy 14 at hwy 395-- they have some great beers.
Sorry for the hijack.

Hey DB, looks like a good time. We just got back last weekend(red rock canyon), it was nice weather out there! You need to check out Mojave brewing company on hwy 14 at hwy 395-- they have some great beers.
Sorry for the hijack.

that sounds like a plan. i didn't think about this until i was already out there, but next year i'm going to try and hit some breweries and stuff up on the way out and possibly the way back.

i had a great time but got REALLY drunk last night...i'm kinda hurtin...

:drunk:

time to get to bed...gotta be back at work tomorrow!

Back