Project 10der and Mild: 10 Milds in 10 days in Month 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After PM'ing olllllo and BierMuncher I'm probably going to brew mine around or on Sept. 29 as a partiglye. The first runnings wil be my 09/09/09 Barleywine, then I'll add a little pale chocolate and some crystal and do the mild.

If that is OK with everyone

As I stated im my PM, It seems to fit the bill ingredient wise and I've already said as long as the 10 day brewing cyclce falls in OCT, we're good.

Not playing with you all, but I'm following this thread. It would be interesting to see how drinkable of a beer you can get in a short time period.

I'm trying to brew a 09 and a 10 beer together so will a day early be that bad. I'll still send them out after 10 days.

I meant to say as long as there is overlap, so indeed yes- brew on! I think I referred to using the Mayan Calendar (in jest) somewhere.

The process as I imagined it is 10 days grain to glass. If you were a brewpub, it'd finish and you'd chill and force carbonate using the quickest method you could.

We were giving people a 5 day window to ship after the 10 days.
I'd rather have a finished beer with any caveats noted, then an unfinished beer.

If you somehow find a process that gets you under this timeframe, by all means. We expect to have that process documented as well. That's what we want to learn.

It should be easy to get done in ten days

I read this was on hbd.org

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 03:31 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The story is, I agreed to brew a beer for our Fantasy Football draft sometime ago, and then promptly forgot about it. Last night I get an e-mail, saying our draft is Monday night September 1! So, I need a beer in a week.

This morning I smacked a pack of Ringwood yeast. I am thinking about a 1.040-1.045 bitter type beer. For a malt bill:

9 lbs. Maris Otter
0.5 lbs. medium crystal
0.25 lbs. Victory

The hop bill is where I am struggling. I am real low for British dirt hops. The best I could do, would be Target or Northern Brewer for bittering (maybe 20 IBUs), and Styrian Goldings for flavor and aroma.

Alternatively, I could make an American style bitter. I am flush with Simcoe/Centennials/Amarillow/Warrior/Summit, plus a little Cascades.

Finally, I do have some Continental hops, albeit in smaller quantities....Saaz, Hallertauer, some Mount Hood.

I am trying to brew something to please the masses (this IS a FF draft)....what would you do?

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:41 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides, I just drew a glass of the quickie ale (couldn't wait for Monday), and it is delicious! Target/Styrians are a nice combination, and the complex Ringwood ale flavors go nicely with them.

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 04:08 am:

Yes! While everyone who showed up loved my quickie ale,

So an ale in 10 days is very doable

I just want to throw my recipe out there, see what everyone thinks. I'm attempting a clone of the Magic Hat Odd Notion Mild, here are the stats for that beer:

Malt: Pale, Chocolate, Crystal
Hops: Columbus
Yeast: English Ale
SRM: 20.0
IBU: 21
ABV: 4.2
Brewed with Candi sugar

Here's what I've put together:
2-row 6 lb.
Pale chocolate malt 0.5 lb.
Caramel 60 0.25 lb.
Caramel 120 0.25 lb.
Chocolate malt 0.25 lb.
Candi sugar 0.5 lb.

Columbus 0.25 oz. 60 min
Kent Goldings 0.5 oz 15 min

WLP022 Essex Ale

22.8 SRM
23 IBUs
3.8 ABV

Whatcha think?

I just want to throw my recipe out there, see what everyone thinks. I'm attempting a clone of the Magic Hat Odd Notion Mild, here are the stats for that beer:

Malt: Pale, Chocolate, Crystal
Hops: Columbus
Yeast: English Ale
SRM: 20.0
IBU: 21
ABV: 4.2
Brewed with Candi sugar

Here's what I've put together:
2-row 6 lb.
Pale chocolate malt 0.5 lb.
Caramel 60 0.25 lb.
Caramel 120 0.25 lb.
Chocolate malt 0.25 lb.
Candi sugar 0.5 lb.

Columbus 0.25 oz. 60 min
Kent Goldings 0.5 oz 15 min

WLP022 Essex Ale

22.8 SRM
23 IBUs
3.8 ABV

Whatcha think?

I've not had this particular mild- but does it have any hop aroma? I'd consider dropping that addition.

I've not had this particular mild- but does it have any hop aroma? I'd consider dropping that addition.

The hop aroma is almost non-existent. I added the second addition to bump up the IBUs because I only have 0.25 oz. of columbus left, but I think I might add the Kent Goldings at the beginning to keep it closer to the real thing. Good idea Jason.

When I first had this beer, I didn't know it was a mild, it was so clean and malty I thought it was a Bock.

i prefer a little hop aroma in my milds, but i also like blending. Using EKG with the Columbus will really round out the flavor in the bittering hops (yes, bittering hops provide flavor :D)

I'll throw my recipe out there for review and comment, any and all help is appreciated as I'm not a mild expert, I built this based on the BJCP description, and the fact that I don't want a lot of "roast" flavor. Also for this quick beer i figured simple was better. I'm calling it 20/20 mild since thats where the IBU's and color SRM ended.

5.5 gallon batch
65% efficency
7 lbs Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lb Brown Malt (65 SRM)
6oz Carafa III (425 SRM)
1/2 oz EKG 4.5%AA 60min
1/3 oz Challenger 6.7% AA 45min
1/4oz EKG 4.5%AA 30min
EST OG = 1.037
Will pitch onto a London Ale III Yeast Cake from a Brown Ale

I've never used Brown Malt, so I'm worried about the Mild being too nutty.
Whay say ye?

uh, might have to change my brew date to Friday the 3rd. Am I now banned?

:eek:

I could probably do it the previous weekend if necessary 27th, or 28th...

Why is everyone brewing after the deadline? Or is that the deadline for registering?

calendar.JPG

OK well I'm brewing a Mild today and have a functioning Kegerator now. I suppose I might as well give this a shot eh? No special tools needed besides the ability to force carb and crash cool right? I'll wairt to hear a confirmation on these two things, but I might just give this a shot. I make good beer, just am new to kegging. This will break me in proper I suppose.

For those brewing the 10-Day Mild, here's a good BYO article on Speed Brewing, including a Mild recipe. Most of the information is fairly basic but worth skimming as a refresher on clean, fast fermentations.

My mild is going onto the yeast cake of a Special Bitter (Gale's clone) I have in the fermenter now. My worry is that I'll get too clean a fermentation and not get some of the yummy esters that make the style.

Chad

Here are the assignments. I used the number of persons that you wanted to send out to detailed in post 1. I'll PM you the addresses and what not once a few people check my work.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING AS MUCH AS YOU ARE GIVING.

olllllo sends to:
BierMuncher
flyangler18

Chriso sends to:
DeathBrewer
niquejim

GreenwoodRover sends to:
olllllo
CHad

flyangler18 sends to:
Chad
Zymurgrafi

YooperBrew sends to:
Professor Frink

Chad sends to:
DeathBrewer
GreenwoodRover

BierMuncher sends to:
GreenwoodRover
Chriso

DeathBrewer sends to:
Chriso
Professor Frink

Professor Frink sends to:
Zymurgrafi
niquejim

niquejim sends to:
BierMuncher
olllllo

Zymurgrafi sends to:
YooperBrew
flyangler18

Revision: I'll probably be brewing weekend of 11th/12th, due to pushing 09BW back one week. I might try to tackle this one sometime during the week. Out of the ordinary for me, but I'm confident that it's a brew I'd be able to manage, start to finish, on a weeknight. As long as I don't dilly-dally. :)

List looks great, thanks olllllo!

Revision: I'll probably be brewing weekend of 11th/12th, due to pushing 09BW back one week. I might try to tackle this one sometime during the week. Out of the ordinary for me, but I'm confident that it's a brew I'd be able to manage, start to finish, on a weeknight. As long as I don't dilly-dally. :)

List looks great, thanks olllllo!

Thursday nights are my unofficial brew nights now. Just crush and set up the night before so the next day after work you just fire up the kettle and roll-on.

Weekend of October 11-12 is going to be my brewday as well for this recipe.

A slight adjustment to my earlier hopes, but so be it.

I'm still planning on brewing as planned, but I hurt my back about 10 days ago and am "day to day" at this point. I keep thinking it's going to be fine tomorrow, but now I'm having pains down into my leg, etc. I think that I have some disc involvement. Anyway, the point is, I have to have my mules, er, husband and son, around to be my brewslaves. I'll get them to haul everything upstairs for me as they get time and then have them put my water up on the stove. So, I'm not sure which day I'll actually brew.

OllllO- please pm me your address, too. I'll send you a bottle or two as a thank you for putting this together for us!

I'd be willing to participate if you need a fill-in for someone who opts out, or otherwise just want 1 more person. I know its 7 days late.. hahahaah

I made the appropriate changes to the brew schedule calendar. It looks like niquejim is scheduled to brew today. If so, we are officially started.

MrShake. Thank you for the offer. So far we are on track and locked in. I'd like to stick to the plan, but will keep you in mind if there are unforseen circumstances.

I wouldn't mind sending to more than one. I don't need to recieve in return. Right now (although it may sound blasphemous) the feedback is more important to me than the reciept of additional home brew.

I wouldn't mind sending to more than one. I don't need to recieve in return. Right now (although it may sound blasphemous) the feedback is more important to me than the reciept of additional home brew.

Ping us again on your brewday. By then we'll have had more than half of the folks either brewed or in-process.

I wouldn't mind sending out more than one, either. I must have missed the posts about the number we're sending out. Sorry 'bout that. Still planning on brewing Wednesday (1st) or Thursday (2nd).

Chad

I'm brewing on either 10/4 or 10/5. Bottling on day 9 and should be shipping out on 10/16 since I have the most free time on Thursdays to hit the local DHL office to do my drop-off.

Back