Good Summer Just Got Finished Mowing Type Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logzor

Reaction score
As the title states, I'm looking to make a good beer for outside warm weather, something fairly light, drinkable. I was thinking about brewing a Fat Tire Ale clone again but was just trying to think if there is another good brew I could make.

Any suggestions on a recipe / clone?

Right now I have Blue Moon bottled, Stone Pale Ale fermenting, SS Oatmeal Stout fermenting.

A saison is a good ale. Very light in color, and very refreshing in warmer weather. I made a Rye Saison last year that I am going to be brewing again. It was very good. You could also do a Cream Ale which would be an ale version of a Pilsner. Very clean and crisp like Pilsners.

last year i made a belgian saison that was one of my favorite brews of all time. when it was really hot out a nice cold saison hit the spot to a T, just as long as I didnt have to do anything thought -intensive (like driving) immediately after drinking one of those 8.7% beasts.

You can also go with Centennial Blonde, brewed 10 gallons of it last year, it was fantastic. It was Biermunchers recipe that i used.

Dont want to go off topic, but i'm brewing a Saison on Saturday, did you guys use WLP 566?

You can do the Rye Saison as an extract beer as well. They actually just came out with a Rye extract. I am not sure how the conversion would work, but it is available.

Light wheat beers (OG ~ 1.045-1.048) are perfect for hot summer days.

I used to think an IPA was a good summer brew before I realized that massive quantities of hops actually make you drowsy as hops are a natural sleep aid!

NB's Patersbier is also a great summer beer IMO. I've done the all grain version but they also have an extract kit.
I agree with the others on the saison too. 3711 is my new favorite strain, I've got the same Rye Saison carbing up and it's already tasting really yummy.

already have my hands on the WLP566, i knew that the 565 didnt attenuate dry enough, so i figured i would try this...
depending on how this goes, if i rebrew i'm going to try the 3711 next time.
thanks for the advice.

I've brewed an American style wheat beer which is a nice summer beer although I really enjoy Saisons as well.

You mentioned you typically do extract, here's the recipe I used last summer:

5# Wheat DME (some recipes I've seen call for half Wheat and half light DME, but you really want just Wheat DME because the wheat extract is already a 50-50 mix of wheat and light extract)
1 oz Hallertaur @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Cascade @ 30 minutes
.5 oz Cascase @ 15 minutes
.5 oz cracked coriander @ flameout
1 cardamon pod @ flameout
1 oz. Sweet orange peel @ flameout

This was the second brew I did. Most people seemed to really like it. You can try increasing/changing the hops a little and you probably don't even need the spices which I don't think are traditional in an American Wheat. With the right type of hops, you probably don't need the orange peel either, it's up to you. Have fun, let us know what you decide to brew.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I usually soak grains then do extract.

Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 10 HCU (~7 SRM) Bitterness: 16 IBU
OG: 1.049 FG: 1.008
Alcohol: 5.3% v/v (4.2% w/w)

Grain: 1 lb. American crystal 20L

Boil: 4 lb. Light dry malt extract
1 ½ lb. Rice extract

Hops: 1 oz. Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
½ oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 15 min.)
½ oz. Saaz (aroma)

yeast : fermentis dry S-04

its cheap to make, easy brew day, fast to ferment, doesn't need months in the bottle, very light, good lawn mowing beer even if it is an ancient recipe.

I usually do a cream ale for those hot summer days. And I usually have to re-brew multiple 10 gal batches because everyone else seems to go for it just as much as I do!

I also second the wheat beer idea... light and smooth!

NB's T can and bearcat wheaten Beatdown excels in this category, as does their Patersbier... Both are golden light bodied low alcohol and supremely drinkable session ales that will not disappoint in either extract or AG formats. Also Beirmunchers Centennial Blonde also fits the bill and is a serious crowd pleaser.

I'm rebrewing the Wheaten beat down again in the next few weeks for one of my summer kegs.

Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 10 HCU (~7 SRM) Bitterness: 16 IBU
OG: 1.049 FG: 1.008
Alcohol: 5.3% v/v (4.2% w/w)

Grain: 1 lb. American crystal 20L

Boil: 4 lb. Light dry malt extract
1 ½ lb. Rice extract

Hops: 1 oz. Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
½ oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 15 min.)
½ oz. Saaz (aroma)

yeast : fermentis dry S-04

its cheap to make, easy brew day, fast to ferment, doesn't need months in the bottle, very light, good lawn mowing beer even if it is an ancient recipe.

I think I might make that one. Can you get away with 1-2 weeks fermentation?

I have some yeast I saved, one was a smack-pack I used on my Blue Moon recipe. I will also have WLP002. Can I use either of these instead? I really want to try re-using yeast :)

I think I might make that one. Can you get away with 1-2 weeks fermentation?

I have some yeast I saved, one was a smack-pack I used on my Blue Moon recipe. I will also have WLP002. Can I use either of these instead? I really want to try re-using yeast :)

I've done it is 2 weeks 1 week primary, 1 week secondary but a 2 week primary should work fine.

its an easy fermentable load with no high gravity quirks. Any yeast at the right temp should be no problem.

I ended up buying the goods to make a Cream Ale, similar to Little Kings. Can't wait to get these brewed, probably won't be till this weekend or even the next, lots of stuff going on.

Back