San Diego Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have family in phoenix and would be willing to drive out there.... just need to find some brewers that could help us out. I am not the best navigator of the site if someone can help me do that let me know if contacts

All -

I'm fresh out of malt.

I'm looking around and at the moment it looks like I'm about to commit to $199 USD to get 50lbs DME Briess Light out of Homebrew Heaven in Washington state.

Is there anybody who has a better idea ? I don't mind the malt cost but the shipping saddens me. But Southern California is not exactly a grain field.

It's $150 for 50 lbs and $49 for shipping.

I would definitely be down for a group buy. Live in Los Angeles, work in Riverside. Ill keep checking this thread for any updates, but count me in

All -

I didn't expect that our LHBS would facilitate buys of 50 lb bags, since they make money sellling 3 lb bags. But Hydrobrew in Oceanside ordered one for me.

In keeping with my policy of spreading my ingredients business around I'll ask AHB in Claremont if they'll do that next time.

So I'm malted up for the next couple of months. But if somebody can organize an avenue whereby we could split a pallet or something and get the cost down below $3 a pound, I'd be in.

normzone: I wonder if Stone brewery near you would sell off some bags of grain for a decent price?

Been hoping for some cali buys but man 8 hours away. My LHBS sells sacks for 45 bucks, don't think paying shipping twice would save any money but im subbed.

i'm told that AHB has the best prices in SD. $30-something for a bag, hydro was $40-something.

American Home Brew of the 15 and 52? Called them up and they were telling me "bulk" prices were about $2/lb for domestic 2-row. That was enough to tell me it's not a place to be doing business.

Homebrew Mart only does domestic 2-row, but they will also let you do a grain card where they punch it off so you can just pick up and mill what you need until you've gone through your purchased amount.

All About Brewing in El Cajon, IIRC is about the same cost as Homebrew Mart on the 2-row, but I like this place more. The owner, Jim, is a really nice guy and very helpful. He also sells a few other varieties in bulk quantities. Really, if you need something, just ask - he'll order it for you if he doesn't already have it. Jim said the price for bulk grains depends on what his cost is when he's buying the, so just give him a call when you're ready and he can get you the price.

If you're ever traveling through Riverside, up the 15, MoreBeer has some pretty awesome bulk grain prices. I've never been there and It's not often I find myself in the area, though once a year should be enough, I guess :mug:

I live near the Riverside MoreBeer. They have good prices on bulk grain. I am interested in buying some base malt for myself and maybe splitting a bag of specialty malt of anyone is interested.

I am willing to do some of the leg work, as in pick up and partial delivery.

Lets make something happen with this or a so cal bulk/group buy of some sort.

I'm told they have military discounts, up to 10%. Can anyone verify this?

Count me for a few bags of base malt, maybe some MO too. What specialty malt were you thinking of? I'm in SD but can easily make it up your way during a weekend.

For bulk, the LHBS in El Cajon - All About Brewing - will probably be close to More Beer. Last time I spoke with the owner, Jim, he said it just depended on whatever the current prices were from the supplier. At that time some of the grains I was looking at were maybe a little bit more expensive ( a few dollars), but it would be worth it to not have to drive to Riverside and back - time and gas.

If not more beer in riverside there is vanguard in laverne who has briess 2row 35 out the door

Are you guys looking to buy hops or grain right now? I'm down for a hop buy, I'd go in for the grain but I don't have a mill so it wouldn't make sense for me at the moment.

Edit: If you guys are still shopping around for good prices, next time I am at Best Damn Homebrew Shop I'll explain to them whats going on. They are a pretty new spot so they might not have the hookup as far as lower prices go but its worth a shot. Both people I have met working there are all really cool and seem to know their stuff, so its worth a try.

I would split a bag of Crystal 15 or Crystal 40. If anyone is interested possibly both.

keesh said:
Are you guys looking to buy hops or grain right now? I'm down for a hop buy, I'd go in for the grain but I don't have a mill so it wouldn't make sense for me at the moment.

Edit: If you guys are still shopping around for good prices, next time I am at Best Damn Homebrew Shop I'll explain to them whats going on. They are a pretty new spot so they might not have the hookup as far as lower prices go but its worth a shot. Both people I have met working there are all really cool and seem to know their stuff, so its worth a try.

Did you find anything out?

Best Damm Homebrew has alright prices on 50lb bags. If you're in the north county Mother Earth Brewing Company has the best prices around as they buy in bigger quantity than anyone.

What hops are you looking to get? I just recently bought 5-6lbs and have some spare as some of the guys i went in with flaked out on me. From Hopsdirect and freshhops.

outside92129 said:
Best Damm Homebrew has alright prices on 50lb bags. If you're in the north county Mother Earth Brewing Company has the best prices around as they buy in bigger quantity than anyone.

What hops are you looking to get? I just recently bought 5-6lbs and have some spare as some of the guys i went in with flaked out on me. From Hopsdirect and freshhops.

Good call outside, was just going to mention Mother Earth. They have the 10% off for military and AHA members, not to mention about 30-40 different grains, equipment and some very awesome brews. They recently just did a benefit brew where a portion of the sales went to families of the marine helicopter crash a few weeks back. I do not get my stuff from anywhere else. I am pretty sure if we wanted to get a group buy together, they would get it shipped with their next order.

I am interested in getting a group buy together for at least some hops if anyone else is interested.

socalhomebrewer said:
Good call outside, was just going to mention Mother Earth. They have the 10% off for military and AHA members, not to mention about 30-40 different grains, equipment and some very awesome brews. They recently just did a benefit brew where a portion of the sales went to families of the marine helicopter crash a few weeks back. I do not get my stuff from anywhere else. I am pretty sure if we wanted to get a group buy together, they would get it shipped with their next order.

I am interested in getting a group buy together for at least some hops if anyone else is interested.

They will order grains if you want them....I got a 50 of organic 2 row..
Igotsand

I'm at the bottom of my last fifty pound bag of Briess light DME. It came from Hydrobrew in Oceanside.

I'm low on cash but need to keep the pipeline full - are there any brewers who want to go in on a bag?

Thanks
Norman:mug:

outside92129 said:
norm- go to mother earth. Cheaper and closer to you, off the 78 at sycamore in vista.

Do you happen to know any bulk grain prices off the top of your head?

I get my sacks at Morebeer for $35

I've done that before, but Riverside is really too far away for most San Diego residents to make the trip cost-effective. There are plenty of LHBS around, but I don't know if any of them can get fantastic bulk pricing that others in the US can get by going direct.

The closest I've come is All About Brewing in El Cajon. Their bulk prices are a little higher than BBB, but I also don't have to drive 4 hours + gas, so it's probably a net savings.

I talked to George at the the Home brew shop in North Park in San diego at 2911 El Cajon blvd and he said he can do 40.00 for 50lb sack of 2-row if anyone is interested. A 10 bag minimum.

Like the title says, San Diego extract brewer is looking for somebody(s) to share in a fifty pound bag of light DME. It runs about $150, I'm game to break it up as many ways as need be.

I just paid $6 and change a pound for my last batch of ingredients at the LHBS and by the fifty pound bag it's only $3 a pound, so I'm eager to make this happen. I've burned through two fifty pound bags in the past but I'm low on funds right now so looking for investment partners :mug:

Again, I'm an extract brewer at this time so all friendly advice regarding grain prices goes in one ear and out the other unless you're inviting me over to your place to brew :eek:

Hi, me again. Extract brewer in Escondido getting ready to contact Mother Earth in Vista because they are offering the best price on a 55 lb bag of light DME. If anybody wants to buy in on it with me I'll share it out at $2.75 a pound.

Best Damn Home Brew Shop has bags of 2 row for 41.99 and does gift cards so you don't have to get it all at once. We also have pounds of Centennial, Crystal, and Columbus for $19.99 or under per pound.

demianb said:
Best Damn Home Brew Shop has bags of 2 row for 41.99 and does gift cards so you don't have to get it all at once. We also have pounds of Centennial, Crystal, and Columbus for $19.99 or under per pound.

Do you guys do other grains in bulk? I find myself going through pils almost as fast as 2 row.

We do offer other grains as well. We typically go 20% off our standard rates. Email me for specific prices. Bairds Maris Otter 55 lb. bag $61.99. 50 lbs Breiss DME $140.00. Weyerman Pilsner 55 lb. bag $67.99. Dingemans Pilsner $65.99. These prices are subject to change and limited to product on hand but can always be special ordered. Call us 619-232-6367 or email [email protected]
Cheers

Hi, me again. Extract brewer in Escondido getting ready to contact Mother Earth in Vista because they are offering the best price on a 55 lb bag of light DME. If anybody wants to buy in on it with me I'll share it out at $2.75 a pound.

I'm in! I'm just in San Marcos and this would be awesome! Any luck with it yet?

Latest posts

Back