1-gallon brewing resources; and all-grain possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechphisto

Reaction score
So I just got my first brew going and in the fermenter. 5 gallons made from an extract kit put together by my local home brew supply store. But only just recently have I heard of 2.5 and even 1-gallon brewing. This really appeals to me! It will take me forever to go through 5 gallons of beer, even giving some to friends. And part of what I got into home brewing for is to be able to try different things and experiment and have fun. I can't really do that once every 3 months or so it takes me to get through 5 gallons. (I'm lucky to have one bottle a night.)

So, my question is, are there any good resources anyone can point me to regarding 1-gallon brewing? (I'd prefer 2.5, but the local brew store have 2-gallon buckets perfect for 1-gallon brew, and I can always have my favorite recipes going through the 5-gallon, leaving the 1-gallon to my experiments.)

Also, am I stuck doing extracts with 1-gallon batches? Or is it possible and viable for me to get into the all-grain brewing (my ultimate desired goal) with such small batches?

Thanks for any feedback!

All grain 1-gallon brewer here...check out the 1 gallon unite thread in this section. That is basically where we hang out. Nothing radically different except smaller equipment. Let us know how we can help but check the thread first.

So I just got my first brew going and in the fermenter. 5 gallons made from an extract kit put together by my local home brew supply store. But only just recently have I heard of 2.5 and even 1-gallon brewing. This really appeals to me! It will take me forever to go through 5 gallons of beer, even giving some to friends. And part of what I got into home brewing for is to be able to try different things and experiment and have fun. I can't really do that once every 3 months or so it takes me to get through 5 gallons. (I'm lucky to have one bottle a night.)

So, my question is, are there any good resources anyone can point me to regarding 1-gallon brewing? (I'd prefer 2.5, but the local brew store have 2-gallon buckets perfect for 1-gallon brew, and I can always have my favorite recipes going through the 5-gallon, leaving the 1-gallon to my experiments.)

Also, am I stuck doing extracts with 1-gallon batches? Or is it possible and viable for me to get into the all-grain brewing (my ultimate desired goal) with such small batches?

Thanks for any feedback!

I do 2 1/2 gallon batches regularly and I use the same bucket that I would use for a 5 gallon batch, a 6 1/2 gallon ale pail. The extra space above the beer is no problem for the fermentation as it will produce CO2 to cover your beer. If you want to do 2 1/2 gallon batches, have at it. I also do mine as all grain BIAB and can do them right on my kitchen range using a 5 gallon stock pot and can chill that size batch in the sink if I wish.

I do 1 gal batches from time to time. Especially, when I'm trying something new or something that I only enjoy in small quantities, like a porter or a big belgian. I usually do AG using the BIAB method for small batches. I'm usually done in 3 or so hours. I just divide all of the ingredients by 5. It works out fine. The only thing I had some issues wuith early on was determining what my boil volume needed to by to account for trub loss and boil off. I usually start with 1.75-2 gals and by the time I have it in the primary I usually have just about 1 gal. Typically, I have to top off to about 1.25 gal to hit the correct OG. This works well because it gets me a couple of more bottles out of the batch.

I do 1 gal batches from time to time. Especially, when I'm trying something new or something that I only enjoy in small quantities, like a porter or a big belgian. I usually do AG using the BIAB method for small batches. I'm usually done in 3 or so hours. I just divide all of the ingredients by 5. It works out fine. The only thing I had some issues wuith early on was determining what my boil volume needed to by to account for trub loss and boil off. I usually start with 1.75-2 gals and by the time I have it in the primary I usually have just about 1 gal. Typically, I have to top off to about 1.25 gal to hit the correct OG. This works well because it gets me a couple of more bottles out of the batch.

Thanks for the tips!

Additional question: my local brew supply store sells these 3-gallon PET bottles; is 3 gallon enough headroom for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Thanks!

Small batches and BIAB were made for each other. I use the same 2 gallon buckets you are talking bout and you can make 1.75 gallon batches w/ease. That gives you about 16 bottles. I use BeerSmith to make my recipes, a 5 gallon cooler to mash in and a 4 gallon pot to do the boil. This is what it looks like

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to venture into 2 gallon AG as well. I'm picking up some food grade buckets from a bakery department at my local grocery store. You can prolly get some buckets there. 3 gallon should be fine for a 2.5 gallon batch. I would rig up a blow off tube for the first stages of fermentation and then throw on the air lock after things have calmed down. My goal is to brew every weekend. I am almost to that point. This hobby is awesome and my beer taste amazing. Best of luck to you!

Small batches and BIAB were made for each other. I use the same 2 gallon buckets you are talking bout and you can make 1.75 gallon batches w/ease. That gives you about 16 bottles. I use BeerSmith to make my recipes, a 5 gallon cooler to mash in and a 4 gallon pot to do the boil. This is what it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYwf86unc4

I second that, here is another video if you check the link. *Note it is not my video!*

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/video-stovetop-biab-2-1-2-gal-all-grain-355623/

I didn't know what BIAB meant and had to look it up... Whoa! Cool! :)
Gah! More stuff to learn! ;)
The idea of having to fudge and estimate the additional grain to compensate for the lack of tun (?) bothers me some. But, for me, the general simplicity of doing this while still being able to explore AG brewing is very exciting :)

The idea of having to fudge and estimate the additional grain to compensate for the lack of tun (?) bothers me some.

Huh?

Something tells me that your understanding of BIAB is slightly more complicated than what it needs to be.

Moreover, when you get around to preparing your first BIAB brewday, you'll find these handy little calculators out there helpful (like this one: http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/), and will help you get close to the water amounts you'll need.

Ahhhh, I now realize what you meant. You read Seven's Biab tutorial and read this line.

"Increasing the base malt helps compensate for the slight efficiency loss that is typical from this no-sparge BIAB brewing technique. Note that increasing the base malt may not be required in all cases. It's just another tool to help if you find that you are consistently below the OG that your recipes call for.

If you get yourself a good brewing software program, something that some might consider essential for brewing all grain, you'll find it very easy to scale your recipe for beer volume and efficiency. No 'fudging' with grain size.

Lots of people use beersmith. I use Brewmate (http://www.brewmate.net/). Its alot easier that it sounds right now.

LOL jwalk4, that's EXACTLY what I'd read. :) You're good.
Thanks for alleviating my fear and pointing me to suggested applications!

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that with BIAB there's no more trub than with extract brewing. Which means, I really don't have to worry about secondary fermenting - - for a 1 gallon batch I can primary ferment for the full couple weeks or so in a 2-gallon bucket, then I can just rack to my existing 6-gallon with spigot for bottling. Yeah?

I recently did a 3 gallon BIAB that I split into 3 experimental 1 gallon batches. Bottom left is the a simple blonde ale, bottom right I added honey and the one in the bucket I am seeing how open fermentation will affect it.

*note: I forgot to calculate how much water the grains would hold onto so I ended with 1/2 gallon for the open fermenting blonde (topless blonde lol)

BIAB.jpg

fermenting.jpg

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that with BIAB there's no more trub than with extract brewing. Which means, I really don't have to worry about secondary fermenting - - for a 1 gallon batch I can primary ferment for the full couple weeks or so in a 2-gallon bucket, then I can just rack to my existing 6-gallon with spigot for bottling. Yeah?

I had a little more trub because I have a fairly course bag and I don't have a way to filter it like if you vorlauf in a mash tun. I need a finer straining bag I think. :p

and yes I would rack into the bottling bucket then bottle

With BeerSmith you can enter ANY recipe you see anywhere and it will convert it down or up to what ever size you want to brew. No guess work at all. Little grain trub will get into your wort if you use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag to BIAB. And that other strainer I used in the video pickes up what the bag lets thru. I"ve quit using hop bags and now just dump them in the kettle so I get a lot of filtering from the second type of paint strainer used in the video.

For the record, this is what a 1 gallon BIAB brew will look like in a 3 gallon pot. Post 2225, for quick reference.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/1-gallon-brewers-unite-311884/index223.html

I didn't think it was possible, but 1 gallon guru 'JollyIsTheRoger' has 4.75 lbs of grain in there! If you are interested in 1 Gallon all grain brews, I suggest you introduce yourself on the 1 gallon thread.

Back