Sour Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Sour on 4/10/2010 and racked to secondary 10 gallons on 5/10/2010. I made a few rookie sour mistakes, but that's not the issue here. I Kegged and drank one of the carboys last year. Yes, I thought it was a decent sour, but not an award winner. So, I have left the second carboy alone. Here we are 2 1/2 years into the secondary, and I still have pellicule on the top of the beer. I really want to keg this carboy as I have not paid attention to it, but never letting the air lock go empty. Last year I was all about adding the dredges of different sour beers to the carboy. What the hell I figured, it's a sour experiment. I never got those big bulbous pellicules that I saw in a buddie's beer a couple of years ago. I know why. But, here's my question. Think it's safe to keg this beer now? It looks infected (I know, what sour isn't ), but I would at least like to rack to a keg tomorrow, carb it up, and try it. I am at odds. Ever hear of anyone getting sick from an experiment like this. No, there is not any black fungus in the carboy. Just a firm white film of pellicule on the top. I find that very wierd as I thought that the pellicule was supposed to fall out after a year of sitting. Thoughts?

Sometimes it falls sometimes it doesn't. Just rack from underneath it then carb it up and try it

I can't say I have studied them, but it seems most of my sours still have their pellicles when I bottle.

Keg it and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back