Keg for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
Hey,

I live out in the sticks of Tennesse 100 miles from Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. There is pretty much nothing for the home brewer where I live and not much in those 3 major cities.

I am looking for ideas where to find a keg that I can turn into a kettle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've seen this question, and although I personally don't have kegs to boil in, I've heard scrapyards, alcohol distributers, are the places to look. You might throw up some ads at the post office etc.. and see what happens as well. You never know what someone has laying around.

I live in Cleveland, TN and you are definitely right....there is hardly anything around here in the way of homebrewing. I had to drive to Cartersville, GA to purchase most of my equipment. They were cheaper than online stores and the cost of shipping would have been way more than the gas I spent driving down.

As far as kegs go...I drove three hours to get the ones I have (Asheville,NC). I found someone selling their whole AG set-up on Craigslist for $325 (2-keggles w/ welded fittings, 60' 3/8 ID copper tubing, 10gal round Igloo cooler with manifold and fittings, propane burner and tank and some other miscellaneous parts). The scrapyard in the Chatt area said they get kegs every once and awhile but wanted to charge me around $1.60/ lb for the stainless. I know stainless is good for scrap now but not that good. That's double what he gave for it so that was a no go.

All that said....I feel your pain.

On the brightside, the Chattanooga area does have a local homebrew club called The BarleyMob. They meet once a month in the downtown area at a brewpub called the Big River Grille. I'm not a member yet but am looking into it. Gotta love the Bible Belt!

By the way, I just Google Mapped your town.....HOLY CRAP!! You are in BFE!! Sorry about that...I'm sure it's quiet there though.

If you are in BFE, don't you have a dump site? Don't be shy about salvaging for re-use, it is even kinder on the environment than recycling.

Back