Accuracy of Hydrometer reading inside Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
After 3 weeks of Fermentation I was planning on checking the FG of my American Wheat beer tonight and i was wondering if my FG reading will be accurate if i just sanitize my hydrometer and place it in the plastic bucket with the beer... I heard from someone that it will not be because of the volume of the liquid. Was hoping you kind people could ease my mind a little and let me know for sure.

I would think it would be harder to read that way? Id jst sanitize a turkey baster adn take a sample itll be easier to read and quicker getting the cover back on the bucket. :)

If you don't take the sample out, how the heck are you going to taste it? Didn't you know that it's a rule that you taste it?

haha your right overall bad post :p just bought a Turkey Baster gonna give it a quick check sure hope i hit the FG last time i got stuck at 1.020

Just took the reading and it tasted great FG right on the mark! Looks like shaking up the wort real good before pitching was my problem

Bang on the money Nurmey. It's an important part of brewing tasting the sample, think of it like wine tasting from the conditioning keg. You can tasted the difference between day 1 and day 10. You guys need to switch to plastic fermenters, they have a tap in the bottom so no need to baste your turkeys ;) .... just open the tap, pour into a vial and drop the hydrometer in, measure and taste (of course we are all spitters not swallowers right).

Back