bottle carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch1

Reaction score
Can I use regular sugar to carbonate my beer in the bottle, opposed to corn suger. Or can i use corn syrup, if so what proportion of water to syrup for 6gal of beer?

I don't know about corn syrup, but you can use regular sugar. I wouldn't suggest it, but if you brew with a Mr. Beer kit, that is what they tell you to use. It taste better, and it is easier with corn sugar.

Corn sugar (dextrose) will not change the flavor of your beer.
Table sugar will add cidery tastes, which are not desireable.
Corn syrup... no comment.

Use the good stuff.

olllllo said:
Corn sugar (dextrose) will not change the flavor of your beer.
Table sugar will add cidery tastes, which are not desireable.
Corn syrup... no comment.

Use the good stuff.

I agree you did all that work to get it to the point of bottling, stick with the proven methods.

isn't corn syrup just corn sugar and water? If so, why couldn't he use it for priming, so long as he finds out what the concentration of the syrup is and adds an appropriate amount

priming sugar is too minimal an amount to affect flavor, you can use table sugar without fear of side effects. One of us a while back did an experiment with priming, all types of sugars. He said the table and corn sugar are identical right down to bubble size. Brewing Classic Styles says similar, but you may need a tad more table sugar to equal 5oz corn sugar.

Back