Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy old thread, Batman! I was disappointed to find upon moving from MI to NY that I could get neither Big Sky nor New Belgium beers. Now having moved to AL, the situation is the same here. Oh well.

In two weeks, though, SWMBO and I are heading to MT to see my in-laws. Moose Drool here we come! If only it was like the old days -- before we met, and before the TSA rules changed, SWMBO used to bring a case of Moose Drool home as her carry-on. Now that's a good woman.

Email I got from Big Sky :
You can find many Moose Drool clones on line for home brewers, but here is one we provide:

Moose Drool

OG 1.052
Color 38
IBU 26

Pale 87%
Crystal 75 10%
Chocolate 2.8%
Black .2%

Final Mash Temp 154° F

70 minute boil

20 IBU East Kent Goldings

Liberty and Willamette for flavor and aroma for total of 26 IBU

Fullers ale yeast
This recipe shows a color of 38, but plugging this into BeerSmith gets me nowhere near this. Typo or different rating than SRM? I'm doing an extract batch and switched to dark DME and crystal 120L and barely get 23 SRM for color, so this has me confused.

This recipe shows a color of 38, but plugging this into BeerSmith gets me nowhere near this. Typo or different rating than SRM? I'm doing an extract batch and switched to dark DME and crystal 120L and barely get 23 SRM for color, so this has me confused.

I plugged this recipe into BrewMate and it gave me a SRM of 18.6 and an EBC of 36.6 so Big Sky must use EBC when referencing color.

Thanks for this thread! This beer is ****ing radical and one of my wife's favorites so we are brewing it AS I TYPE(just added 30min Liberty hops)! Changed a few things up with hop additions just because I can't stand to follow all the rules, but the grain bill is from OP.

Nothing really to add other than I'm clearly excited and again appreciative for access to this recipe!

I brewed this beer on the 23rd of Nov and tried it today. First of all, I made a VERY good beer. However, it turned out more like a chocolate stout than Moose Drool; which is totally fine with me. Not sure why it turned out more like a stout that Moose Drool but...anyway, I used a different yeast so I expected the flavor to be different than the posted recipe. I used WYEAST London Ale yeast that I harvested from my Holiday Ale. The flavor is really good but I am not sure if the HB shop messed up and gave me more chocolate malt than I needed, but the color is VERY dark and very chocolaty...almost like Guinness only chocolaty like a chocolate stout I once tried. Anyway, thanks for the recipe and sorry I messed it up...hahaha

Taco :D

Update:

This beer has been on tap for about 3 weeks now and man is it good. If i'm not careful I will drink it too fast. Good job with the recipe. And, thank you! If you're draggin your feet, stop! Get to the HB shop and brew it. You will be very happy with this. My London ale yeast gave it a really cool flavor, why don't you try a different yeast and let us know how it turned out!

Hey Az,

I tried your recipe again tonight and holy crap is it good (been 3 weeks in the keg and brewed about 8 weeks ago)! Thanks again for the recipe. One question, does yours turn out with a real dark chocolaty finish? I made some very minor subs to the recipe...one was I used London ale yeast that I harvested from my holiday ale but cant see that making it chocolaty. Anyway, fantastic brew. Great recipe--thanks!

I bought a sixer of Moose Drool on a whim last weekend. I pulled the first one out of the fridge, and was not impressed. Not a lot of flavor other than a strong carbonic flavor. After a couple sips I set my mug down in the kitchen and kind of forgot about it for a while.

Later I came back and tried it again after the beer had been sitting out a while (about 45 minutes). Holy crap, it was like night and day! The beer was wonderful. It was still cool, but no longer stupid cold, so the flavor was finally coming across (beautifully), and it had lost the carbonic bite.

It hadn't occurred to me that my kitchen fridge (my kegerator was full) was set to 35*, which was clearly way too cold for this beer. I guess there's a lot to be said for observing proper serving temps. :eek:

This is now one of my favorite beers. I will be buying much, much more....

i will be visiting san fran this summer - anyone know of a good place to stop that would have it in stock so I can drink it while im there?
Thanks!

I'm in Sacramento, but most grocery chains and beer stores carry this out here. Enjoy SF! We moved out here from Columbus, OH about 12 years ago.

I brewed Moose drool 10 days ago. I used the recipe from this thread. Cant wait.
I also made a starter with the London yeast. It started to bubble my blow off tube in 15 minutes-never had that happen before.
Hit my OG and just transferred to a secondary, FG was 1.011.
gonna let clear a few days and keg....

Got all the ingredient to brew a 5 g batch of this for a Xmas party only difference is I'm using Windsor dry ale yeast will this change the flavour much from the original recipie?

Jamie

Back