Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in an Irish household and Guinness was the gold standard. it wasn't until I had my beer awakening that i realized, Guinness really isn't that great.

Have your ever had it in GB or Ireland? I don't know if it's just the ambience of a hewn stone-walled underground university bar, but I swear it's nearly a different beer altogether there.

Funny statement from a friend today..."hey, that melomel is pretty tasty and I don't normally even like beer". :)

Have your ever had it in GB or Ireland? I don't know if it's just the ambience of a hewn stone-walled underground university bar, but I swear it's nearly a different beer altogether there.

Agreed, it is better. Although I'm spending ten days in London this may and I am putting all My energies into drinking cask conditioned real ales. I won't waste time with Guinness

Even in the smoking area at the Shannon airport it was better than what we get over here. :D

Not about beer but funny stuff heard in a bar no less:

young dude, well on his way for that eveinng, steps up to the bar and asks for a "Telemundo." (Tullamore Dew)
:off:

"How do they get such intense aroma in this Hamslop?"

My mother after two bottles of Hopslam. She quickly corrected herself, but I couldn't help but laugh at that little bit of dyslexia surfacing.

Scene from CSI (or other criminal forensics drama):

"Notice the ovate contusions on the adductor group and scrotal hematoma."
"Yeah. Looks to me like our John Doe was into auto-gonadal pummelation."

...and, by the way, "Scrotal Hematoma" would be a great name for a band!!

Reminds me of a party we had when 4 of us twenty year olds live in a run down bachelor pad. A guy used to come around and get on every ones nerves but never got the hint that we weren't a$$es to him just to be funny. One might I finally got tired of him so as 6 of us are mingling in the front yard I turn to my buddy and ask "ya know what else is funny?" Then blast *****edude in the nards full force. He layed on the ground for a minute then got up and stood there a minute later I asked another buddy the same question with same result. Dude stayed the rest of the night to his credit but never showed up again

"How do they get such intense aroma in this Hamslop?"

My mother after two bottles of Hopslam. She quickly corrected herself, but I couldn't help but laugh at that little bit of dyslexia surfacing.

What's crazy, is my brain auto-corrected this when I was reading. I had to re-read it 3 times before I noticed... :drunk:

Reminds me of a party we had when 4 of us twenty year olds live in a run down bachelor pad. A guy used to come around and get on every ones nerves but never got the hint that we weren't a$$es to him just to be funny. One might I finally got tired of him so as 6 of us are mingling in the front yard I turn to my buddy and ask "ya know what else is funny?" Then blast *****edude in the nards full force. He layed on the ground for a minute then got up and stood there a minute later I asked another buddy the same question with same result. Dude stayed the rest of the night to his credit but never showed up again

Cool story bro :smack:

Having some Peticolas Velvet Hammer Imperial Red Ale while playing ultimate frisbee:

"That's beer? Why is it red?"

Apparently my local Whole Foods keeps Lagunitas limited editions under the Import section.

One more for the day, though no dialogue was involved.

At a local bar that serves 75% local beer on draft and the other 25% is other popular craft beers. I see a guy at the bar wearing a soccer jersey sold by one of the local breweries that had two of the taps at this bar. I am assumed he knew beer by his selection of shirt. What did he order? Coors light ... :smack:

pulfson said:
Apparently my local Whole Foods keeps Lagunitas limited editions under the Import section.

Lucky you. Here in MD we have heavy seas, duclaw and flying dog and dog fish is not too far away. But we have to go find our good beer. Luckily I live in Arnold where craft is taking over. Every where else. If not coors light bud light bud ice or steel reserve f--- off

Cool story bro :smack:
SgwrPoP.jpg

Said the hipster at a beer festival "My favorite beer is PBR, they are a small brewery and don't get sucked into that corporate greed crap."

There was just too much wrong with not only his statement, but with the whole situation.

One more for the day, though no dialogue was involved.

At a local bar that serves 75% local beer on draft and the other 25% is other popular craft beers. I see a guy at the bar wearing a soccer jersey sold by one of the local breweries that had two of the taps at this bar. I am assumed he knew beer by his selection of shirt. What did he order? Coors light ... :smack:

Coors light has it's place in my world. I find it refreshing to drink on a hot summer day while tailgating or at a music festival.

Coors light has it's place in my world. I find it refreshing to drink on a hot summer day while tailgating or at a music festival.

I totally agree with that but if you are going to a local place that specializes in local brews AND you are repping one of said local brews, you would think they would at least be drinking something local.

While on a local microbrewery tour there was a coffee porter on tap. I overheard someone drinking it say to their buddies "I like REALLY dark beers like shiner bock. I guess this is why I like this one because it tastes like shiner".

Coors light definitely has a place in my world, too. Like when I've had some bad food and there's no ipecac to be found.

What can I say, sometimes it's fun to drink 30 beers over the course of a day. Usually that coincides with a music festival or tailgating.

Putting the train back on the rails

Was browsing the beer aisle for the new and improved selection along with a fellow who look interested like I did. Struck up convo with him nice enough guy but I had to chuckle when he really liked the widmere hefe becuase of the bananas they put in it made it not so heavy.

Putting the train back on the rails

Was browsing the beer aisle for the new and improved selection along with a fellow who look interested like I did. Struck up convo with him nice enough guy but I had to chuckle when he really liked the widmere hefe becuase of the bananas they put in it made it not so heavy.

It's been a few years since I had one of their hefe's but I don't remember much banana flavor at all. I remember it being more like an american hefe. Am I wrong?

Fizzycist said:
It's been a few years since I had one of their hefe's but I don't remember much banana flavor at all. I remember it being more like an american hefe. Am I wrong?

Exactly. I think he was trying to strike up convo as I was probably geeking out on him haha which I wasnt trying to do but so few people are open to the ins and outs of beer around here.

And rather then make it socially awkward I let it be.

i try very hard not to get too snooty about lite lagers. No one wants to turn into the insufferable beer snob. I dont drink them that often, but they have their place, and are thirst quenching on a hot day when you're at a friends party and its all he has...

I grew up in an Irish household and Guinness was the gold standard. it wasn't until I had my beer awakening that i realized, Guinness really isn't that great.

I live in Ireland, I like Murphy's and love Beamish but I really cannot stand Guiness. Not only this is more of a fashion thing over here but they also have pretty aggressive sales methods: My local is the main craft beer bar in town, they have to trade beers for CO2 since Guiness controlls the CO2 market and do not deliver to pubs who don't server Guiness...

Latest funny one: A colleague knows I brew, he asks me about my beer and another colleague mentions:
-I do not like ales, they are too flat

Since he comes from Germany I tell him that beer are ales or lagers and that most German beer would be ales. His answer:
-So Guiness is an ale?
ME: Yes
HIM: Wrong, this is a Stout!!

Crappy beer is about $6 per beer at festivals, ball games, etc. You're cool with spending $180 to drink Coors?

We're talking about different things. When I tailgate or am at my campsite at a music festival (usually no glass allowed at either) I drink beer that I have brought with me. This usually consists of a case of coors light per person per day. We also generally bring a mini keg of bells for each day. There is no need to get all up in arms about people drinking coors light. On the 10 days a year I find myself in those situations I drink it happily, every other day of the year I'm drinking something I made or the best craft beer the bottle shop has in that week.

Point being it's absurd to judge someone based on what they are drinking at any particular moment.

I could list dozens of "canned beers" that should have topped that list. A lot of smaller craft breweries sell cans. It's funny that they associate beer in cans with yellow adjunct lagers. I think it's particularly funny that Amstel Light was "A bit too malty for some tasters' palates."

*EDIT* I realized the one of the criteria for this taste test was nationwide availability. Still, I can think of lots of mass produced, inexpensive, internationally available beers that I think are vastly superior to the ones on this list.

Something I find funny is when people make statements like "I like dark beers" when I know it really means they like Guinness and they've probably never heard of, let alone tasted a dunkel or schwarzbier.

On a similar note, it amuses me how some people define dark beer. I know some guys who (until I helped them expand their perspective) considered amber ales and IPAs to be "dark" beers, even though by definition they are amber and pale.

Back