Are there any kind of bottles I can freeze and drop in the wort without concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I am planning to mess around with small batches, and my wort chiller won't fit into my pot. An ice-batch is not really an option for me either.

There are a lot of people asking about using water filled and frozen soda bottles, and everyone always says that it's not a good idea because plastic might leech.

Are there any bottles that would be safe to drop in boiling liquid? Maybe silicone?

Not everyone. A study done by a German group showed that some mineral waters packaged in plastic showed "the presence of estrogenic chemicals ". What is never mentioned in the popular press is that some of the samples packed in glass did as well.

In any case, leaching is a slow process.

Just sanatize the outsides. Leaching will be a lot slower than your cooling, and bacteria is much greater >>>> than the size of the 'cracks'. Another option assuming you aren't doing a full boil. Boil some water, pour hot into container and freeze container (ziplock bag) then empty boiled ice into wort to cool.

Latest posts

Back