6 Gal carboy for Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMC

Reaction score
I have a Hop Head Double IPA from Midwest Supplies and after reading the reviews I noticed a fair amout of people commented on having space issues in their 5 gal carboys while dry hopping, (the kit has 2 ounces of whole leaf hops) Would a 6 gal carboy have to much headspace to use as a secondary for dry hopping? Thanks
Steve

I use the 6 gallon carboys regularly and the work fine for dry hopping. You will have plenty of space.

cheers

No, you should be fine in a 6 gallon carboy. If you have the means, it would be a good idea to purge the secondary with CO2 before transferring.

6 gallon will be fine. 5 gallon would be pretty tight. By the way, have fun getting them out of there afterwards! PITA!

Agreed, whole leaf was a pain to cleanup for me as well. I moved to pellets soon after.

Yeah, I tried whole leaf because I heard they had better aroma. I didn't notice a difference and I was very annoyed trying to get them out. Pellets from now on.

I dry hopped with 1oz in a 6 gal carboy, plenty of room!

Didn't have much trouble cleaning up, just turned carboy upside down and used sink sprayer to rinse them out.

I dry hopped with 1oz in a 6 gal carboy, plenty of room!

Didn't have much trouble cleaning up, just turned carboy upside down and used sink sprayer to rinse them out.

Do you have a better bottle or a glass carboy? I believe a better bottle has a wider opening.

I actually had to dig the hops out. They wouldn't just fall out of my carboy, they got stuck in the opening.

Thanks for the info on both the headspace and the difficulty with the hops , I never gave it a thought on removing them from that small opening, I believe I'll be purchasing some pellet hops ,Thanks

Steve

I just did exactly what this person did. I racked to a 6 gallon carboy with the 2 oz of hop cones in the carboy. There's a lot of head space. I don't have co2. Will this hurt my beer?

I don't want to mess this up. I tasted it and it already tastes wonderful.

Back