Hazy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuganator

Reaction score
I recently made an IPA and rite now im at my second week of clearing, took a sample out and noticed it is'nt clearing to well. Would adding some irish moss in to the priming solution help it clear out in the bottles?

Having had many hazy beer experiences as of late, I can commiserate.

To answer your question. No.

Irish moss is used during the boil and it clears out proteins that will cause chill haze later on. If it is yeast (which I am very sure it is) that you want to clear up you can do two things, use finings such as gelatin, or... wait.

If you are bottling, I would say wait, which is what has been recomended to me. Using finings such as gelatin may do such a thorough job of dropping out the yeast that you will not have enough to carbonate when you bottle.

Try moving it somewhere colder and give it a few more weeks. The cold will help the yeast settle. I am waiting on a batch to do the same right now.

good luck

(edit)
man, I type slow I guess.

Ok i guess ill just bottle put at 70 for a few weeks then drop to 60 for the rest of the weeks...

I used a teaspoon in the boil , grains were 3/4lb Munich grain, 1/4lb 20LCrystal. Amber, wheat and light extract to equal 8 lbs. With 7.5 oz of hops. Is there anything in the recipie or any mess up in the process that could cause this?
thanks for any help.

Not to hijack the thread but... how long do you guys leave the gelatin in? I know you don't take it out, but I mean from gelling to kegging/bottling?

omniscientomar said:
Not to hijack the thread but... how long do you guys leave the gelatin in? I know you don't take it out, but I mean from gelling to kegging/bottling?

We put it in the secondary when when transferring from the primary. So it sits on there for about two weeks.

We haven't had any problems with bottle carbonation because of the gelatin but it has only been two batches. Has anybody else heard of that being an issue?

Gedvondur

Sparkoloid works well too.

Chitesan is good.

Since I now filter I have clear beer. But I used to know which were positive charge and which were negative charged finings. Don't seem to remember now.

Isingglass is good too and works much better than gelatin.

Stabifix will get rid of chill haze but you have to filter it out.

From what I understand, gelatin and isinglass are more ideal in kegging situations. You do not filter them out. They go in the keg and settle to the bottom. With bottles you may have to add yeast at bottling time as there may not be enough in suspension after using finings.

Here is an article on finings from byo:

http://byo.com/feature/508.html

hope that clears things up.

When I used to bottle, I never had to add yeast at bottling time. He should be fine.

There are always yeast in suspension, unless you filter.

If you are worried about that, then suck up a small bit of trub when you siphon to your bottling bucket.

good to know. To be honest I do not really understand finings. I believe Denny you had suggested them to me for a similar problem. I still have not tried them. Trying time first. Thanks for the further info. :)

I used gelatin the other day (not the first time) and it's pretty much all congealed and the beer is clear. It looks like fat floating in a vat.

I rack it off of the gelatin. If you ever used or saw it you will understand why.

It looks like the substance in disposable diapers (Pampers). Have you ever seen the gel inside them after the kids been like at the beach or pool? A lot like that.

If you worry about enough yeast being there to carbonate the brew you can always add more yeast/priming sugar/kreusen.

I've only used gelatin once and it didn't seem to do much, but that could have been because I only used 1 packet and only for about 3 days before I bottled....

homebrewer_99 said:
I It looks like the substance in disposable diapers (Pampers). Have you ever seen the gel inside them after the kids been like at the beach or pool? A lot like that.

Okay, thanks for that image. Now I am pretty certain I do not want that touching my beer! :cross:

Pale enough for you?

Light-Ale-Experiment.JPG

Awesome posts! Thanks to everyone. I've just recently gotten back into making wine and beer. I've been making wine mostly from kits that include all the additives. Chitosan or Chitine is one of the clarifiers and I didn't realize how well it works till I made a white wine. Once added, it went from cloudy to AMAZINGLY clear in just days. I've been looking for something like this for my beer, as I have had a problem with a yeast taste or residual in the bottle. From Knight's link, it may be due to the temperature at sparge...I never thought about that. I will try Irish Moss for the first time with this brew as well as paying closer attention to temp at pitch. Also, great info on other additives. I will try them. I am making my first pale beer; a Heineken clone, so clarity will be more important now than with the dark beers I started out with. I will post back my results. Thanks again!

I have a Maibock that is knock-your-socks-off clear. You could read a book through it, no problem. How'd I do it? Let it sit in secondary for 3 months. Heh.

And yes, there was still PLENTY of yeast left for carbonation...

could you chill it in the secondary, move it to a third fermenting chamber leaving some of the sludge at the bottom of the second, then bottle it in a few days? It seems that that would clear it up a bit without using any sort of chemical/agent.

Yeah, that makes sense. I want my belgian to be really clear, but I also want to make sure that there is some yeast up in there when I bottle.

Has anyone ran into problems with using "beer clearing agents" and then not getting enough carbonation after a week or so of bottle conditioning?

cool brew said:
Yeah, that makes sense. I want my belgian to be really clear, but I also want to make sure that there is some yeast up in there when I bottle.

Has anyone ran into problems with using "beer clearing agents" and then not getting enough carbonation after a week or so of bottle conditioning?
I used gelatin and I have plenty of carbonation...all those little dots in the beer are bubbles...see picture above. :D

You have to make sure you leave the bottles at fermentation temps and let them sit longer than normal. There's always some yeast in unfiltered beer. Just a lot less when lagered or fined.

You could always get into kegging. :D

Back