Can't seem to find the reason...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrew

Reaction score
I have had a 5 gal batch of graf (cider-beer) going for a few weeks. I had it in primary for 8 days and then racked to secondary for what will be 8 days tomorrow. I was supposed to bottle after 14 days but last night when I went to bottle I noticed that my airlock has restarted. I took a SG reading (Started at OG 1.062) and it read 1.010. This afternoon about 12-15 hours later I took another reading, still 1.010, but the airlock is still active. There is no sign of contamination. I decided to rack the brew from secondary into my bottling bucket (minus priming sugar of course) in hopes to remove a possible bed of active yeast. It has slowed down but is still bubbling. I will note (before I get the question) that the house has gotten a little warmer in the past couple of days. Any ideas? Should I be waiting to bottle? How long? Could this just be dissolved CO2 being released? :tank:

When you say "active", how active do you mean? A bubble a minute, every 2 minutes, what? What was your target FG? Depending on the yeast, if you are near the average attenuation and near your target, a consistent reading over a 3 day period means it is time for the next step. Intermittent airlock activity is normal...if you get the same FG reading with 2 tests over a 3 day period, move on.

I just sat in front of the bucket for two minutes and timed it and the airlock bubbled 4 times (5 if you count the bubble when the timer went off). So an average of 2/2.5 bubbles a minute? I used Munton's yeast and it began fermenting at 68F...it is now at 71F

My batch of Graff never stopped bubbling from the airlock. I got a 1.008 SG reading twice in 3 days and it was still bubbling 4 or 5 times a minute. As has been said, trust your hydrometer.

Well put, I will take another reading at noon tomorrow giving me three readings over three days. If I remain at 1.010 I will stop concerning myself with bubbles. If it is the same and all goes to plan I am just going to gently stir in my priming sugar water and bottle as usual.... unless someone has a better idea...

aww man, I read the thread title and was hoping you wanted to know the "reason for the season." I learned bout it in Sunday school and had my answer all ready.

I leave disappointed. :(

aww man, I read the thread title and was hoping you wanted to know the "reason for the season." I learned bout it in Sunday school and had my answer all ready.

I leave disappointed. :(

I already know cash is the reason for the season, don't need to be reminded. If they told you something else in Sunday school they were wrong, even Jesus would tell you he was born closer to April...

Not a riot but a saviour... I always show up with at least a home-brewed 12 pack in hand!!! Anywho the brew is bottled and all seems well...If I have any bottle grenades I will be sure to update, but my FG stayed the same over three days. I have high hopes for this one, tastes great!

Back