"Golden" Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
My sister in law planted hops a few years ago. She isn't a homebrewer, she just planted them for aesthetics.

I helped her harvest this weekend. I am drying almost 4 lbs of wet hops, and she has a few more pounds at home she is seperating from the bines.

The only problem is that she is not sure what kind they are. She is pretty sure she bought "Golden" hops.

Based on what she says, I am pretty sure they are "Golding" hops.

What do you guys think? Is there any other variety you would think they are?

If you all agree with my logic, then I plan to brew an English IPA and use them for flavor and aroma. If I am wrong, and they are Cascade or something, I should still end up with decent beer...

You can make a tea with a few of 'em, see how they taste and what style(s) they'd make a good flavor/aroma addition for. Probably you'd want to bitter with something commercial with a known alpha acid percentage, though.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll keep a few ounces, but just get rid of the rest. I don't really brew styles that would use a Saazish hop.

Back