Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my unofficial name for a butt when I rub it with adobo criollo and pull it a little early for slices on sammiches. If I am on my game I soak the butt in mojo marinade overnight. It gives the bark a vinegary twang that works good with the rest of the fixins that go on a Cuban.

Ugggg. Recovering from roasting (and smoking) a 262 lb pig yesterday. Only 37 beers on tap though. Bummed... I thought we were gonna break 40.

Pics and vid on the way for those "pics or it didn't happen folks".

Cape Brewing said:
Ugggg. Recovering from roasting (and smoking) a 262 lb pig yesterday. Only 37 beers on tap though. Bummed... I thought we were gonna break 40.

Pics and vid on the way for those "pics or it didn't happen folks".

How many people were there eating? Have I seen a time lapse of you building a pit and cooking a hog?

I shouldn't have read this thread until we're fully moved into the new place. We are currently without grill/smoker and all of these goods are making me hungry for some pulled pork and smoked ribs!

Smoked a marinaded beef roast today. While the meat was on the smoker (a Korean War era stainless steel field oven) my wife and I picked fresh beans from the garden to go with the meat. It was a tasty dinner.

How many people were there eating? Have I seen a time lapse of you building a pit and cooking a hog?

'bout 150... I have a video out there but it's not really time lapse. The video that is out there is from two years ago. I have slightly modified the overall method and like the latest version the best. I am trying to get another video put together.

Hey guys, new to the forum active smoker... had a family bbq yesterday.. attached was the final two hours.. did a brisket.. 3 racks of spare ribs.. 15 drumsticks and 3 breasts worth of this nifty cubed chicken + bacon snackers.

484460_4110050077040_557753375_n.jpg

You gotta come out to California to get a proper tri-tip. Not that I am disparaging Buffalo, NY or anything..but we invented the cut. You wouldn't want me claiming we make the best Buffalo wings, would you?

Anyway, I hadn't planned on smoking this weekend, but I was at a party on Saturday, and as we were all leaving for the night they handed me a couple pounds of chicken thighs that had been par-cooked and were waiting to finish on a grill. So yesterday I fired up my smoker and finished them off with about 20 minutes of apple wood. Delicious!

weirdboy said:
You gotta come out to California to get a proper tri-tip. Not that I am disparaging Buffalo, NY or anything..but we invented the cut. You wouldn't want me claiming we make the best Buffalo wings, would you?

Anyway, I hadn't planned on smoking this weekend, but I was at a party on Saturday, and as we were all leaving for the night they handed me a couple pounds of chicken thighs that had been par-cooked and were waiting to finish on a grill. So yesterday I fired up my smoker and finished them off with about 20 minutes of apple wood. Delicious!

Curious what your technique for cooking a trip-tip is?

Well to be honest I don't really have a set recipe for most things I cook.

I make a rub and get it on there nice and thick for a good bark, and put it on the smoker for 4-6 hours or so. Then I stick it in the oven on broil for a few minutes to get a nice crisp exterior.

EDIT: for Santa Maria style, of course, you'd want to use red oak for your wood, but I have done it with various combinations of oak, apple, cherry, and hickory and they have all come out good.

I was thinking of making either some abt's or smoking a chicken. Don't have enough time to do a pork butt today.

Going to be smoking a 7lb pork butt this weekend to make some pulled pork stuffed peppers.

Genuine said:
Going to be smoking a 7lb pork butt this weekend to make some pulled pork stuffed peppers.

That sounds great.

I maybe doing a couple racks of back loin ribs I have sitting around in the freezer. Would go well with the brew day scheduled tomorrow.

We finished smoking 30 Reds (Sockeye Salmon) that's 60 fillets for the winter til next season and vacuum packed/canned 30 more.
Hunting season (moose) starts this weekend!

Smoking a 7-10lb pork shoulder this Saturday. I usually coat it in mustard and then load it up with some spices, then toss it on for 8 hrs. Then brewing 6 gals of Pumking clone Sunday.

Busy weekend.

nickmv said:
Smoking a 7-10lb pork shoulder this Saturday. I usually coat it in mustard and then load it up with some spices, then toss it on for 8 hrs. Then brewing 6 gals of Pumking clone Sunday.

Busy weekend.

The mustard coating sounds good. Do you use sweet or spicy mustard?

I use standard French's yellow mustard.

The idea behind the mustard is simply to provide a sticky base for any rubs or seasonings to be applied. It's like a paste once they're combined, and sticks well to the meat. That being said, the mustard imparts a good flavor that's subtle. It's hard to describe, but it's delicious.

tom_gamer said:
The mustard coating sounds good. Do you use sweet or spicy mustard?

The mustard doesn't really impart much flavor, and is typically used more as a method to hold the rub spices in place. Most just use the cheapest yellow mustard they can find.

Edit: too slow. :)

Thanks for the tip, I've done a brown sugar/mustard coating on salmon before but never meat. I'll try it next time.

Myself and Dataz722 will be partaking in a BBQ competition this weekend at Fordham Brewering Co in Dover DE (only open to Ribs and Pulled Pork). The smoker will be loaded up with 3-4 pork butts, 2 chuckies, a fatty, and a bunch of ribs. We'll see how it goes, pics to follow

Hot smoked this duck with a Chinese five spice rub over cherry wood chips. Tasty goodness, going to use some of the leftovers for duck tacos with an Asian inspired slaw.

image-3496168057.jpg

I found a pork picnic in the back of my freezer that's been there for 2 years. Here's hoping the smoke will save it! Covered in mustard then rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt Rub on hickory.

I found a pork picnic in the back of my freezer that's been there for 2 years. Here's hoping the smoke will save it! Covered in mustard then rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt Rub on hickory.

oh man! let us know how it turns out.

I have a picnic cushion hanging in the deep freeze as well. It's only been there a few months. Thinking about smoking it this week.

Prepping brines for the chicken and pork chops I am smoking tomorrow. The chops for dinner tomorrow and the chicken for a recipe that the wife has planned for during the week.

Smoked 2 racks of ribs and a 4lb brisket today. Everything came out amazing!

Back