All Grain Hallertau IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

englishdave

Reaction score
I'm wondering if one of you can cast your eye over the grain bill for my IPA. I have some left over German Hallertau (Alpha acid 4.5%) hops i wanted to use. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Dave

12 lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal 60l
0.75 lb Red Wheat

2oz cascade 60min
1oz cascade 20min
1oz e kent golding 10min
1 oz Hallertau 5 min
1oz Hallertau 0 min

recipe for 5 gal batch, estimated OG 1.075, estimated FG 1.019 IBU 66.2, Estimated ABV 7.4

My one experience with making a hoppy Kolsch using lots of German hops (5oz) did not taste good at all. As for me, I'll stick to the more traditional styles. After all, they developed for a reason. Having said that, yours doesn't look too crazy, so go for it.

I'm not into larger amounts of noble hops like Hallertauer. I've had a bad outcome as well, and think that they do a better job with a lighter touch, more to balance malt in German beer styles than as a prominent taste.
You could always flip the hop bill upside down and use the cascades as the late addition, and the Hallertau for bittering rather than taste and aroma...
The grain bill looks reasonable.

I did an APA with Perle/Spalt/Tettnang a few months back. When I tried it I did not really like it, it was almost too sweet and the hops gave it a very different flavor than I was expecting (I was expecting a more typical APA). However, my girlfriend (who hates hops flavor) and her room mate loved it. I then did a brew class and split my altbier with another guy who made a liberty pale ale. I cracked open a liberty pale ale the other day and it tasted very similar to the one I made, again my girlfriend enjoyed it.

Noble hops in quantity give a very intesting flavor to the beer that is a bit hard to describe. I don't know if I enjoy the flavor or not, but it has been growing on me over the course of the 7.5 gallons. I would say go for it and test it out, but personally I would switch out the cascade and EKG for german hops and make it a German IPA (unless of course you have cascade and EKG on hand and are trying to use them up).

The flavor of a lot of late noble hops is "weird" for sure. I got a lot of "spice" character that threw me off. Kind of like cinnamon in a weird way. Which makes sense, since 'cinnamon' and 'spicy' are flavor descriptors for some of the noble hops.

I think it will be good. Similar hops to Sam Adam's Latitude 48 IPA. They had the lat48 IPA mix pack, that had individually hopped beers, and the hallertau mittelfrueh was awesome.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts the input is much appreciated. I was thinking it might run along the lines of the Lattitude 48 IPA but wasn't sure. I like the idea also of using the Hallertau as the bittering hops and cascade for aroma / flavour. Not sure that it will give me enough IBU for the style though?

Dave don't be afraid to use the Hallertau in the IPA. Sam Adams won a Gold Medal in the GABF for the Lattitude 48 Hallertau IPA. It won in the English IPA cat. I also had this beer in the "deconstructed" mix pack and I agree with Beezer it was the jewel of the pack.

I think we are going to go for it and see how it turns out. we'll post when its ready. I think brew day will be at the end of the month. Cheers all for the input

I recently spoke with the owner of Black Box Brewery in Westlake OH, (i'm a member of the Cellar Rats Brew club) and he suggested that the cascade hop is going to over power the hallertau hop. I have decided to swap the recipe as follows

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE

87% 12 0 American Two-row Pale
7% 1 0 American Crystal 60L
5% 0 12 Wheat, Red

Batch size: 5.0 gallons edit
Original Gravity
1.073 / 17.7° Plato
(1.065 to 1.076)
Final Gravity
1.018 / 4.6° Plato
(1.016 to 1.020)