Cocoa Powder and Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceskier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have my Double Chocolate Stout in primary right now.

After searching, I see many people have tried cocoa powder, but I've never seen this issue addressed.

I used the Scharffenberger cocoa powder, no additives in it. I mixed it with water and added the slurry to the boil. It did cause a huge foaming on addition to the wort, finally had my first boilover.

Anyway, fermentation started quickly and chugged away steadily. Now 5 days later, it appears to be finished, no bubbles whatsoever. The blowoff system is very well sealed, with no leaks. What I still have, is what appears to be a nice chocolate colored krausen sitting on top of the wort. At the very least, it looks like it will make the transfer to secondary a little touchy.

Has anyone else who's tried cocoa powder ever seen this?

I havn't used Cocoa powder yet. Although, what you are describing sounds like the reason we have secondaries, at least to me. When you transfer, if you end up with some of that krausen in the secondary, it will have time to settle out.

I can't figure it out but my post seems really bad in the Grammar Dept... I blame the coffee pot I have emptied into my belly.

Back