Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has this recipe been converted to extract/partial mash? I'm not set up for AG yet but would love to brew this porter.

you're missing the brown malt which shouldn't be skipped and its needs some base grains to convert so this can only be done with a partial mash

Good catch. I knew I should have compared the 2 side by side after converting it. I'm going to remove my previous post so no one makes the mistake of brewing it that way. If I get a chance, I'll try--more carefully--converting it to a partial mash this weekend. Unless someone else has a chance to do it sooner.

Has any one changed the hop bill and what were the results. I do not have any Magnum and am thinking about what to sub it out with.

If you can get your hands on some Briess Munich LME (50% base malt 50% Munich malt) then I think this grain/extract bill will work for a partial mash:

4.25 lbs Light Dry Extract
3.3 lbs Munich Liquid Extract
1.5 lbs Pale Malt 2 Row US
0.25 lbs Munich Malt
1.5 lbs Brown Malt
1 lbs Crystal 120L Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 40L Malt
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt

Volume - 5.5 gallons
Efficiency - 71%
OG - 1.078
Estimated color - 31.9

The LME comes in 3.3 lbs cans, so if you are adjusting for volume I'd keep that at 3.3 lbs and adjust the amount of Munich malt in the actual mash. You may be able to eliminate it entirely. Basically, you want 12 gravity points from Munich malt. So, if you use pure LME you'd want 24 gravity points from the LME as it is only 50% Munich.

You could alternatively mash the full amount of the Munich Malt, but that makes for a mash of nearly all grain proportions.

I've edited this post like 8,000 times now, so if you're reading this at the time I'm writing it then I apologize :)

I ran the original recipe through the Beer Smith convert recipe wizard and came up with this. Does this look right? Would you change anything?

7.13 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 49.21 %
2.30 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.96 %
2.09 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.51 %
1.37 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 8.71 %
0.91 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
0.46 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
0.46 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %

I think the recipe calls for a little bit more than a pound of chocolate malt even though I only used 1lb.

You also want a low cohumulone levels for hops so I think horizon would be a good sub for magnum

I ran the original recipe through the Beer Smith convert recipe wizard and came up with this. Does this look right? Would you change anything?

I originally came up with something similar, but I thought it was perhaps too much grain to mash for most partial mashers. I mean, that's 7.5 lbs of grain. That's on the low end of some all grain recipes. That's why I opted to include the Munich LME - to lower the total amount of grain.

At the very least I think you can get away with less pale malt. The only grains that really need mashing other than the base are the Munich and Brown malts. Munich can convert itself so you only need to convert the Brown malt. I'd think 1.37 lbs of pale malt would be plenty. Make up for less pale malt with more extract.

I just finished my second batch of this. Preboil was 1.083 and OG going into the fermenter is 1.106. Think I over shot the stated OG a bit. I did use Mild Malt instead of 2 Row. I pitched 2 sachets of US05. I hope that is enough

Brewed this a few months ago and finally got it in the keezer about 3 weeks ago...oh my. Easily the best porter i've brewed to date. This will be a staple in my keezer going forward. I added 2 oz of a high quality vanilla extract 2 weeks before kegging, and 5 fl oz of Woodford Reserve at kegging. the whiskey was a bit "hot" in the beer for the first few weeks, but evened out really well now. i think this grainbill without the vanilla and bourbon would be great too. anyone try that? when i tasted my hydro sample it was fantastic.

I know I'm a month late on this but I wanted to make this beer this weekend. I was thinking of using this recipe only I'm a huge fan of the KISS theory so I'm going to use 6.6 lb of LME and .5 lb of DME since that will be much easier to measure out than 7.13 lb of LME. Probably will round off the grains to the nearest quarter pound too since it'll be easier and I'll be able to keep track of my inventory a little better too. This beer sounds fantastic and I'm psyched to make it. My only question is is the destruction of the beers head retention really worth the flavor of the vanilla beans? Has anyone had any luck using vanilla beans and still getting good head. From the looks of the grainbill this should have fantastic foam on it and I really feel like a failure when my beers fizzle out like soda pop

I know I'm a month late on this but I wanted to make this beer this weekend. I was thinking of using this recipe only I'm a huge fan of the KISS theory so I'm going to use 6.6 lb of LME and .5 lb of DME since that will be much easier to measure out than 7.13 lb of LME. Probably will round off the grains to the nearest quarter pound too since it'll be easier and I'll be able to keep track of my inventory a little better too. This beer sounds fantastic and I'm psyched to make it. My only question is is the destruction of the beers head retention really worth the flavor of the vanilla beans? Has anyone had any luck using vanilla beans and still getting good head. From the looks of the grainbill this should have fantastic foam on it and I really feel like a failure when my beers fizzle out like soda pop

My batch of this had good head retention, and I used 2 Madagascar vanilla beans.

My batch of this had good head retention, and I used 2 Madagascar vanilla beans.

K, I just saw a few posts in this thread alone blaming lack of head on the oils in the beans, maybe the type of beans matter? At least this tells me that they don't ensure failure.

Hi ckloecker,

How did the recipe turn out? I am planning on brewing this recipe next and was curious how your adaptation turned out.

Cheers

I used the recipe posted here with 2 Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans and I also get pretty decent head retention.

Here's a photo of my batch poured into an over-sized tulip. Again, I followed the recipe exactly, used 2 Madagascar Vanilla Beans, and about 12 ounces of Makers Mark Bourbon.

5yDACl.jpg

Here's a photo of my batch poured into an over-sized tulip. Again, I followed the recipe exactly, used 2 Madagascar Vanilla Beans, and about 12 ounces of Makers Mark Bourbon.

5yDACl.jpg

Man that looks tasty...

Great to know you can still get head retention with this recipe, wouldn't really want a robust porter to not have that....

Thanks for the responses.

I just brewed this 2 weeks ago and about to rack it onto the vanilla beans. I tasted my hydro sample, and almost pulled another just to drink it! This is going to be a fantastic beer! I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Just bottled this today. I had a hard time not standing over it and inhaling the wonderful aroma the whole time I was racking it to the bottle bucket. The sample tasted great and I usually don't like the taste of green unfermented beer. I'm super psyched to try this after its conditioned. :rockin:

I made this in December and oak aged it for 2 weeks. It is heavenly. :)

We also made 5g of it for our wedding. :D

Gearing up to brew an extract version of this over the weekend. Quick question... I'm assuming the recommendation for the 90-120 minute boil holds true for the extract version as well? 10 or so lbs of LME plus the steeping grains puts this up as the most I've used for a 5 gallon batch before!

Question on the adding of beans & bourbon...
I'm planing on chopping/scraping the beans (thinking of using 3) & soaking them in 12 oz or so of Jim Beam for 5 days or so.....then dumping into my primary about 2 weeks into fermentation for a week or so.....then keg conditioning for at least a month.

I normally don't use a secondary, am I OK to add to the primary?

According to the recipe the bourbon is usually added at botteling/kegging. Am I ok to add it with the beans in the secondary(primary?)?

Thanks for any help.

I'm not mature enough at this stage of my life to store two cases of beer in my house for a year. I really want to drink this three weeks after I bottle it. Also, I don't plan on adding any bourbon. Should I only use one vanilla bean so I don't have to wait for the vanilla flavor to meld?

I'm not mature enough at this stage of my life to store two cases of beer in my house for a year. I really want to drink this three weeks after I bottle it. Also, I don't plan on adding any bourbon. Should I only use one vanilla bean so I don't have to wait for the vanilla flavor to meld?
Short answer - I don't think it matters.

But just the porter recipe w/out any bourbon or vanilla will take longer than 3 wks to mature. It's a big complex beer - you can't rush it too much. Give it at least 6 wks if you can. Or drink it green and it won't be nearly as good or worth it - your call. :mug:

Short answer - I don't think it matters.

But just the porter recipe w/out any bourbon or vanilla will take longer than 3 wks to mature. It's a big complex beer - you can't rush it too much. Give it at least 6 wks if you can. Or drink it green and it won't be nearly as good or worth it - your call. :mug:

I was worried you were going to say that. I'm getting married on June 26, that is exactly six weeks after I brewed this beer. I double pitched it and made a huge starter to try to rush it. But I also collected 8.5 gallons and boiled it down for three hours to 5.2 gallons. I've reached the desired gravity after one week (it actually took 3 days).

The hydrometer sample, non-carbonated and at room temperature, was the best beer I've ever made. I'm going to have to stop myself from taking out a full glass of it tonight!

Congrats! Don't drink it before the wedding - you'll want it all ready then anyway, right? Let it be a wedding gift to yourself. ;)

OK, doin this one at some stage over the weekend. Still a bit of a novice and dont really get how the mash is done. Is it simply heat the strike water to 161°F dough in and hold at 150°F for 75 min and then sparge with 3.6 gallons. Basic I know:eek:

I've had a batch of this in secondary on the vanilla beans for a couple of weeks, and I'm getting ready to bottle, probably with some Buffalo Trace--money's a little tight for Maker's, and I really like BT as far as budget bourbons go. Question, though: should I use the normal amount of priming sugar with this (4oz/5gal), or should I cut it back some to account for the bourbon? Or will the bourbon not have any effect on carbonation? I've never used liquor in my homebrew before; wasn't sure what to expect.

I've had a batch of this in secondary on the vanilla beans for a couple of weeks, and I'm getting ready to bottle, probably with some Buffalo Trace--money's a little tight for Maker's, and I really like BT as far as budget bourbons go. Question, though: should I use the normal amount of priming sugar with this (4oz/5gal), or should I cut it back some to account for the bourbon? Or will the bourbon not have any effect on carbonation? I've never used liquor in my homebrew before; wasn't sure what to expect.

I did not adjust the priming sugar to account for the Bourbon. I added 16oz/5g. However, I also add the MM and Vanilla to the secondary then rack the beer on top of it and let it sit for at least 3 weeks. It did take roughly 6 weeks to fully carb. I got a bit concerned after a month and no carbonation. So I RDWHAHB and waited so more and it turned out all good.

Back