Pabst 1844-$44 a bottle made for china

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt because I am not sure the legitimacy of this but:

blurrib-thumb-233x325-43401.jpg

Pardon Me, Would You Have Any Pabst Blue Ribbon?
Posted by Evan Osnos

Somewhere over the Pacific, Pabst Blue Ribbon began putting on airs.

That reliably blue-collar Milwaukee lager, later adopted by unbearable hipsters on the coasts, has turned up in China. And P.B.R., best known in the U.S. for being the cheapest beer on the grocery-store shelf, has—like so many expatriates before it—taken the move as an opportunity to change its image. For a beer, that appears to involve an elegant glass bottle and a fantastically ridiculous price tag. One bottle: forty-four dollars.

Bravo to Danwei for the story of how P.B.R. has been reborn as “Blue Ribbon 1844” beer in China, advertised in magazines as a “world famous spirit” to be savored from a champagne flute. As a recent advertisement in Window of the South magazine put it:

It’s not just Scotch that’s put into wooden casks. There’s also Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer 1844.
Many world-famous spirits
Are matured in precious wooden casks
Scotch whisky, French brandy, Bordeaux wine…
They all spend long days inside wooden casks.

This is not the first time that P.B.R. has reinvented itself over the years. Since it got its start in the nineteenth century, it has pitched itself in various ways to workers, families, and sports fans—as this good roundup shows. But now, it seems, that a clever Chinese distributor has snatched up the license knowing full well about the Chinese fondness for trophies and ribbons. (See: Olympics, 2008). Alcohol, as I described in a piece on China’s love affair with wine, has become a prime tool for conspicuous consumption. And “Blue Ribbon 1844,” as its Chinese site assures us, has winner written all over it.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...have-any-pabst-blue-ribbon.html#ixzz0uky78v81

From http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...-me-would-you-have-any-pabst-blue-ribbon.html

So is this just regular PBR in a fancy bottle?

Well if they're dumb enough to fall for it, they deserve it.

Had one of these last night. Its an enjoyable American Amber Lager. Clean crisp, light body, malty nose with a malty sweet caramel flavor. The carbonation is light and very tight, distantly reminiscent of champagne. All the flavors meld well, and the beer comes off as well crafted instead of a PBR in a fancy bottle

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Is the cost 44 Us dollars or 44 RMB?
Because I Remember when I was in china about 8 years ago or so I paid around 2-3RMB for a BIG(500ml?) bottle of Tsingtao at convenience stores all around. It was about the equvilient of 25 US cents lol. That is crazy if it is US $44 haha.

Back