Cheese Press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhog

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get a pressure gage that measures the pounds being pressed like the one on the cheese press that is being sold at Cheesemaking.com? I would like to build my own because I get tired of using the gym weights. I already have the moulds. It would be nice to just set and forget and not worry about the weights leanning in one or the other direction.

you could make one, a basic design would be a stiff spring with a rod through it the more you compress the spring the more the rod sticks out. you use the weights you already have to weight the spring to different values and make marks on the rod for each value.
If you need it ill draw a picture.

I talked to a mechanic friend and he told me where I could buy a compression spring. Thanks for the info on how to calibrate it. I was wondering about that. I definitly want to make one because I made some farmhouse cheddar and put it in the gym weight press last night everything was fine and this morning it was leaning.

Not a close up but the one in this picture looked simple and it's used by a proffesional.

dsc00028hk8.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I found a couple of pictures like that in the cheese books. I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought some compression springs, threaded rods, nuts and bolts and I am going to start my press today. So far I am only into it for $12. I am actually going to make two since I like to divide the batch into two one pound moulds.

Back