Sugar And Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bottled, here is what I did:

Boil up some water, added sugar to boiling water, and let boil for 5-10 minutes after I got it all disolved. Cooled priming solution and poured it into the bottom of my empty (sanitized) bottling bucket.

Then I syphoned the beer on top of the priming solution, and used a big sanitized spoon to gently stir it. Bottled from bottling bucket, occasionally stirring.

Shaking, or anything else that exposes your beer to air more then you can get away with is generally a bad thing, and will cause your beer to go stale.

Agreed with what the wolf says...also priming the bottles individually makes it difficult to get an even mix...you're liable to get some bottle under carbed, and some way over carbed. Combine that with the fact that you're bottling while the beer is still fermenting (I gleaned that from your other thread) and you've likely created yourself some bottle bombs or gushers.

I agree with Wolf and El P....easiest and most even/accurate method, on top of the fact that you are assured that it is sterile.

I mixed it in the bottling bucket on my first batch as noted above and it has turned out well.

What is the difference when using DME versus corn sugar? I may try that on the next batch if there is an quality advantage. Thanks

I keep hearing that DME gives you a smoother creamier head over corn sugar, but I use it just because it seems like the right thing to do.

I bought some "Carbonation Drops" by cooper the other day to bottle some 1 gallon experimental batches that I have. I have never used them. I believe they cost $4.50 a bag. The directions read use one tab to carbonate 350ml, or two tabs for 750ml. They are 73% sugar and 27% glucose. Looks like there is enough for a 5 gallon batch. I have never tried them has anyone tried them, how did they work?

Ditto what some of the others said except that stirring is not really necessary. Simply putting your sugar solution into the bottling bucket first and siphoning into it will distribute the sugar evenly enough, in my experience. I always recommend the least possible intervention with anything that could compromise sanitation.

I'm with SteveM- if you put the end of the syphon tube down in the "corner" of the bucket where the bottom meets the side, the beer will circulate. As long as the syphon tube stays under beer, the beer will gently move in the bucket without disturbing the surface, and mixing the sugar nicely.

Blender said:
What is the difference when using DME versus corn sugar? I may try that on the next batch if there is an quality advantage. Thanks

supposidly the advantages of d.m.e. for priming are: finer bubbles.
more body.
the glory of only using malt
in your beer.
the disadvantages are: it takes longer.
finer bubbles.
if you measure using dry measuring cups
instead of using a scale, you will get varying
degrees of carbonnation.

the advantages of corn sugar are: its quicker
its cheaper
its usually pre-weighed which gives you
consistant results

cooling it isn't necessary either since there is so much more beer and the effect in temperature cange should only be a few degrees.

Kai

True, the cooling part is more out of habit really ^^;

Regarding stirring. This is to prevent an uneven distribution of the sugar. I had heard stories of inconsistent carbing using this method when folks didn't stir, so it's more of a "just in case" measure. I'd stil recommend it, especially if your syphon is on the slow side. Mark it up as paranoia :)

LupusUmbrus said:
Regarding stirring. This is to prevent an uneven distribution of the sugar. I had heard stories of inconsistent carbing using this method when folks didn't stir, so it's more of a "just in case" measure. I'd stil recommend it, especially if your syphon is on the slow side. Mark it up as paranoia :)

I never stirred the sugar, but I may want to do this in the future, The problem is, that I always forget to sanitize something that I can stir with.

And thanks for naming your Porter after me: "UFB Porter Kai", I feel honored ;) ;)

Kai

As a follow up question regarding this thread, is there a difference or advantage in using either light DME or extra light DME for bottle conditioning? I think there was a thread about this not too long ago but I don't think it got into the whys of using either kind.

thanks..

I was following one of the threads of 'dme vs corn sugar' and if you google that actual term you'll find a few interesting reports. One says no difference and the other indicates a slight difference after some time.

I bought priming sugar for my first batch to play it safe, and I read that I should use about 3/4 a cup for my five gallons. Does this sound about right? I was thinking a little more was necessary.

BeeGee said:
I was following one of the threads of 'dme vs corn sugar' and if you google that actual term you'll find a few interesting reports. One says no difference and the other indicates a slight difference after some time.
Yes, but what does google know about the effects on your soul? ;)

Alembic said:
As a follow up question regarding this thread, is there a difference or advantage in using either light DME or extra light DME for bottle conditioning? I think there was a thread about this not too long ago but I don't think it got into the whys of using either kind.

thanks..

The only difference between light DME and extra light DME is the color. It won't make a bit of difference once you dissolve it in 5 gallons of beer.

-walker

3/4c corn sugar is pretty much the accepted standard for 5 gallons of many styles of ale. I'm more of a 2/3c man (I think, as I measure by weight), but that's largely a matter of personal taste. You could safely do 1c if you like your beer slightly more carbonated than average.

Back