Why do I get haze/deposits on my bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Every bottle I have gets a haze/deposit on the side of the bottle. It is only on the vertical or slightly upward facing surfaces (never anything in the neck).

It is a bit like hard water deposits. It doesn't rinse out. I keep a bucket with about 2 gallons of mild bleach solution in it (soaks blow-off hose, and airlocks, etc as they get used), and I find I have to put the bottles in the bucket (fill the bottles), and after a few hours the deposit is gone.

Anyone else have this problem.

I use several yeasts, and they have it. It is on bottles at 3 weeks (fresh Pale Ales or Berliners) and beers brewed and bottled a couple of years ago (Barleywines and sours).

I do have hard water, and that may be the cause, but if it is, then a lot of people should see the same thing. However, my beers frequently stay in the fermenter for 6 to 8 weeks, and I would have thought most of the salts would have dropped by then. Even my sours that are in the fermenter for up to a couple of years do the same thing.

I'd love to know what the cause is, and if there is anything I can do to get rid of it. I might try a batch with bottled water to see if it is the water. What bottled water do people normally use?

ro from the machine for 25 cent. I add some baking soda, gypsum, pickling salt (forgot name) and epsom salts. my water sucks.

Spring water. Water sucks in SoCal, so I buy several 2 gal spring water jugs.

Do you use Oxy? I get it when I soak in oxy. I now use a vinegar/water rinse after washing. It takes that gunk right off.

Soak the bottles in a mild acid solution. You are seeing the result of hard (alkaline) water deposits.

Brew with RO water with a little gypsum added.

several municipalities in california and coastal areas aswell recycle all water, that means when you take a leak it goes from the toilet to the water treatment plant to get turned back into pottable water. Thats one reason why they say not to flush medications. Only Al Pacino could make me drink water from Cal, but I see your in Ohio same thing I believe. Mountainouse areas like Utah, Colorado and New mexico retain their water high in the mountains. This is where our main water holding area is. we use it flush and it goes out into the west desert aka the great salt Lake, but it does get treated before going there.

Back