cleaning/sanatizing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrg

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm about to bottle my first batch (wheat beer) and I've got a question about cleaning my bottles. I got these bottles from the local recycling place. so far, this is what I've done

quickly rinsed the bottles
put them in a 5 gallon bucket
filled the bucket with 180-200 degree water
added a scoop of oxyclean
let sit for about 20-30 min.
scrubed the bottles on the outside, and used a brush on the inside
rinsed several times
dried

Is there anything else I need to do before i bottle? like rinse the bottles out again with hot tap water right before i bottle? Thanks

peace
-gw

well, they should be clean now. However, you still need to sanitize with something like iodopher. starsan, etc.

Rinsing after sanitizing is not necessary if you use a "no-rinse" type and actually can be detrimental (water-borne contamints)

if you do rinse use boiled water.

If you really rinsed them good you are almost there, however I have found oxy-clean to require a lot of rinsing in hot water. After that you will just need to sanitize the bottles and caps. I prefer to use star-san because it is no rinse and it lasts a while, before that I used Iodophor withouut any problems. Sanitation is the most important thing after the boil, but don't lose sleep over it, It always works out just fine. Paul

Back when I used to bottle I'd soak them in Bravo powder which is poor man's oxyclean free and then rinse. After rinsing I'd place them in my dishwasher without detergent and run them through a cycle with the dry cycle. The steam that was inside my dishwasher seemed to do a good job at santizing. I never had an infection.
There are probably 2 dozen ways of getting to the same point; find what works best for your situation and just go with it.

runhard

I do a soak with PBW, bottle brush then rinse well. I have the bottling tree with the vinator on top. Just pump it on the top and put it on the tree too easy.

Latest posts

Back