Mash options for first Hefe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2thumbsup

Reaction score
I'm planning my first Hefe in a two weeks. A lot of research has led me to believe the best way to make a "good" hefe is to do a decoction mash (I'm sure "the Kaiser" will agree. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a decoction tho (I will do one, just not now). Are there any mash options to decocting that will improve my hefe? Step mash possibly? Thanks in advance for the advice!

single infusion at 152 is fine. if you want more flavor adjust your recipe with something like melanoidin malt.

do a decoction if you are interested in the process. just don't expect a profound difference.

No need to do a decoction for this brew. Do a single infusion. Depending upon how much wheat you have, I would strongly suggest a protein rest of about a 1/2 hour at ~122 to reduce the potential of a stuck mash.

BTW, I also live in Sheboygan. Whereabouts are you?

I would increase that temp of the protein rest to around 131F. This will help break down some of the larger proteins, reducing chill haze (not that it matters in a hefe) and providing good head retention. A protein rest at 122 will break down medium sized proteins and produce amino acids, negatively impacting body and head retention.

Furthermore, might I suggest a two step mash process, first step from 131 to 148 then to 158. This dual mash step at both ends of the saccarchfication(sp) range will help keep the beer dry while also providing the body you desire from the traditional decoction.

avidhomebrewer said:
No need to do a decoction for this brew. Do a single infusion. Depending upon how much wheat you have, I would strongly suggest a protein rest of about a 1/2 hour at ~122 to reduce the potential of a stuck mash.

BTW, I also live in Sheboygan. Whereabouts are you?

And if you are worried about a stuck sparge/mash just throw in some rice hulls into your mash tun. That'll solve any problems you might have.

I'd already planned on .25# or .5# of rice hulls (I honestly can't remember and don't have the receipe handy right now).

How is the best way to step mash in a cooler mash tun? I had two thoughts, add reduced amount of initial strike water at 135, 30 minute rest, then add balance of strike water at x-temp to get to 158, then another 60 min rest then fly sparge at 168.

I do a single infusion for my hefes and throw a lb of rice hulls in to prevent a stuck mash. Never had any issues. The pilsner malts are well modified these days, eliminating the need for decoction mashes. I usually mash at 152F, but I think I'm going to up that to 156F for a tad more mouthfeel.

I am actually brewing a weizen tomorrow and am doing a three step infusion 131. 145. 158. With the initial water to grain ratio at .5 then for second step 1.0 then final step at 1.5 . Can't explain more at the moment cause I'm busy, but if need be I can add more later

I've only made one hef but I just did a mash in the 150s (don't remember exact temp), then fly sparged. Turned out great for a wedding with good flavor and head retention.

I used a half pound of rice hulls for ten pounds of grain and had no stuck sparge.

I am actually brewing a weizen tomorrow and am doing a three step infusion 131. 145. 158. With the initial water to grain ratio at .5 then for second step 1.0 then final step at 1.5 . Can't explain more at the moment cause I'm busy, but if need be I can add more later

I think I'm going to follow this approach, I've loaded your recommended temps and ratios into Beersmith...so far so good. I was thinking of rests of 30 minutes for each step. What do you think?

Thanks for the help. How did your brew day go?

The receipe I've cobbled together (stolen) from others is:

7# German Wheat
4# German Pils
.5# Rice hulls

.75oz Hallertau or Tettnang (I haven't decided yet)
.25oz Hallertau or Tettnang (I haven't decided yet)

Wyeast Bavarian Wheat #3638

Coupled with the step mash of 131 - 145 - 158

I can't wait!

Infusion mashing is good enough for your first Hefeweizen. Decoction improves the malt character and body, both of which don't play a huge role in the taste profile of a Hefeweizen.

What's much more important is a 30 minute rest at a temperature of 45°C (113°F). This will improve availability of ferulic acid and/or (depending on complicated conditions that you should just ignore in the beginning) glucose sugar, which, in combination with just the right strain of yeast, will produce the clove and/or banana aroma so typical for this style.

Hefe Brew day update. It was quite the adventure, to say the least. While developing the final recipe, I read somewhere on HBT that Beersmith struggles with step mash temps and ratios...I still forged ahead. Well, whoever wrote that statement was RIGHT!! Hit my protein rest temp of 131, went to add addtional strike water to bounce it to 145...fail!! the volume and temp of water recommended by Beersmith only raised the mash temp 6 degrees...this is where the fun started. I drew off about 20% of the wort into a stainless pot and put it on the stove top and took it to 205 degrees and added it back to the mash. That mini-decoction brought the mash temp up to 147 degrees. Ended up having to do something very similar process to get the final rest temp up to 158 degrees. While it was quite the adventure and I won't know what I really have until I taste the final product, my original gravity was nearly dead on and the color is exactly what I expected. Will definitely keep everyone posted.

What's much more important is a 30 minute rest at a temperature of 45°C (113°F). This will improve availability of ferulic acid and/or (depending on complicated conditions that you should just ignore in the beginning) glucose sugar, which, in combination with just the right strain of yeast, will produce the clove and/or banana aroma so typical for this style.

If i am not mistaken, which can happen, the ferulic acid is only a percursor for the clove flavor and aroma, which is a phenolic. isoamyl acetate (or something like that, I dont have my brew science book on me for reference) is responsible for the banana smell, which is an ester.

Back