Multiple Batches out of one pack/vial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhollist

Reaction score
All,

I have been reading up on yeast washing. I agree it is a great way to reuse yeast and save some money. I was wondering though, would it not be easier to make starter, then split that starter into multiple (e.g. 3-4) containers? Each container could then be used to make up a separate starter for a batch.

Anyone do this? Any reason why washing would be superior?

I am trying this on some Irish ale yeast now. Starter should ferment out in the next day or so, I will then cold crash, decant, then mix up the remaining beer and yeast and pour into 4 sanitized mason jars.

Cheers,
Jeff

Yeah, you could do that. I suspect the only reason most people don't is that it requires more planning; you need to go through two starters before you're ready to pitch, and you need to be thinking ahead to future batches - i.e, you need to know you're going to use the yeast more than once.

And washing isn't that difficult. Just harvesting the yeast after it finishes is fairly simple; washing it just takes a few transfers between sanitized vessels.

One possible advantage to washing yeast, I suppose, would be that you are getting yeast that's been active for longer. If you're planning on using it again soon, that may mean the difference between 1-week old and 3-week old yeast. If future batches are farther out, that may make little difference, though.

Yes you could do this but would need to a monster starter.....multiple additions of wort to = the amount of yeast from a fully fermented batch of brew. Play around with the Mr. Malty's yeast calculator and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

cheers

Back