Oxiclean Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxiclean
Very nice stuff, use it for kegs and tap.
For the brewing installation I don't use it.
Is made out of copper (Copper isn't responding well with oxiclean)
Use NaOHprills for that. And rinsing it very well.
:off: Something I learned from profibrewers is that copper is something they use. Even in some ss kettles they have copper plates.

Just do not leave anything you are cleaning in the solution for more than a day or so...it will leave a residue. I had such a bad residue problem (encrusted actually) I had to use a strong vinegar solution to dissolve the residue. Ugh.

Lesson learned: Use it, but don't let stuff sit in it for more than 24 hours.

I love Oxyclean. A few hours in a hot water and oxyclean solution, and all the beer labels and glue come off of bottles by themselves. There is no scrubbing required. I just rinse the bottles in the sink as I take them out of the Oxyclean and run them through a dishwasher. The wet Oxyclean solution is very slick, like a detergent, or perhaps it actually has some kind of surfactant in it. I'm not sure what's in it, but I do make sure I rinse the bottles very well after they've been in the Oxyclean.

I also use it to clean carboys, my brew keggle, my mash tun, etc, whenever they have grunge that won't come out by other means. For those applications, I just soak for an hour and then dump and rinse very well to make sure I get all of it completely out.

Oxyclean is very close to dishwasher detergent powder. It is a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate. Some of the powdered brewery sanitizers and washes are pretty much the same thing. Some add a few other chemicals.

Tom Hess said:
Oxyclean is very close to dishwasher detergent powder. It is a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate. Some of the powdered brewery sanitizers and washes are pretty much the same thing. Some add a few other chemicals.

Thanks Tom,

That's good to know, as it's considerably cheaper than the powdered brewery sanitizers, as you can buy it in bulk at Costco and Sam's Club.:rockin:

I used oxyclean to clean my tap lines the other day. It seemed to work really well. I'd been using it to clean cornies, so I just hooked up a line to the keg, ran some through, and let it set for 1/2 hour or so. Then I rinsed it out and ran the beer through.

Back