JAOM - 3 gals too much for a first timer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my first batch of HB, and now Im itching to start playing around with other things as well. I have another batch of Carmel Cream Ale in the primary, and 5 gals of Apfelwein. I also have a 5 gal carboy which I will use to 2ndary my CCA, and I just picked up a 3gal carboy to try something new.

I was thinking that JAOM would be simple to make and can be done in a 3 gallon batch. Never having tasted mead in my life - is 3 gallons too much to start? Or would I be better using that carboy for something else?
Thanks
-Me

I have never tried JAOM , But everyone seems to like it , Maybe you

should try a Cyser first "Honey and Juice" Check out Tusch's recipe for

bluberry cider and maybe replace the sugar for honey. I have 2 meads going

right now one is a pyment and one is a banana mead ohhh and i have the

famous leap year mead going but im trying to forget about it because of the

time until i will drink it Check out the sticky at the top of the mead catagory

JOAM is very easy to make. I've only made a 1-gallon batch so far, but 3 gallons should be no harder. Heck, it pretty much makes itself.

+1 on Malkore's version.
If you use whole fruit, really bomb it with camden tables etc for 24 hours, or add it after 3 to 4 days of strong fermentation. I'm not paranoid, but reality has shown me not to take chances. Usually everything is great until it really hits you in the gonads.

Well, the experiment is well under way and thus far it has been a royal pain in the arse. I have failed to follow any sort of detailed instructions whatsoever. :)

Here is what has happened thus far - 9 lbs of honey softened up with some warm water. Thrown on top of 2 lbs of pineapple chunks. I then found that I didnt have the cinnamon or cloves, so my dumb ass dumped some powered stuff into the carboy.

The airlock filled. (I removed it to place the BoT and I got the 2 foot must geyser)
Replaced it with a blowoff tube until it died down then the airlock is back on. Funny thing is the airlock isnt 'bubbling' like my other brews. You just see the water rise a little, then subside. I thought that I may have had a leak so I removed the carbung and cleaned it off as well as the neck of the bottle.(Could very well be the temp too. My house is in the 60s right now) I still see the floating pineapples bubbling a little bit but other than that it just seems that the 'haze cloud' is making its way to the bottom where all of the honey is hanging out. I hope this mead at least comes out alive - Ive really slacked on this one, and just slapped something together with out the methodical planning that I have used for my couple of past brews.

Ill let it sit for a month or 2 to see if it changes at all, in which time I will take a sample to see if it tastes like goat ass or not. :)
Hey, at least my beer(s) seem to be doing all right!

Well, the experiment is well under way and thus far it has been a royal pain in the arse. I have failed to follow any sort of detailed instructions whatsoever. :)

Here is what has happened thus far - 9 lbs of honey softened up with some warm water. Thrown on top of 2 lbs of pineapple chunks. I then found that I didnt have the cinnamon or cloves, so my dumb ass dumped some powered stuff into the carboy.

The airlock filled. (I removed it to place the BoT and I got the 2 foot must geyser)
Replaced it with a blowoff tube until it died down then the airlock is back on. Funny thing is the airlock isnt 'bubbling' like my other brews. You just see the water rise a little, then subside. I thought that I may have had a leak so I removed the carbung and cleaned it off as well as the neck of the bottle.(Could very well be the temp too. My house is in the 60s right now) I still see the floating pineapples bubbling a little bit but other than that it just seems that the 'haze cloud' is making its way to the bottom where all of the honey is hanging out. I hope this mead at least comes out alive - Ive really slacked on this one, and just slapped something together with out the methodical planning that I have used for my couple of past brews.

Ill let it sit for a month or 2 to see if it changes at all, in which time I will take a sample to see if it tastes like goat ass or not. :)
Hey, at least my beer(s) seem to be doing all right!

GOOD GOD MAN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!...thats about all I can say..well that and maybe try to mix the honey better next time...it sounds stratified...

:drunk:

Mixing the honey is beneficial, but if the yeast are alive and well they will find the honey, don't worry about it. And I thought you were going to make JAOM?

Mixing the honey is beneficial, but if the yeast are alive and well they will find the honey, don't worry about it. And I thought you were going to make JAOM?

LOL Yes I was, but while at the wallyworld I was making my way towards the produce section and got a wild hair up my ass. All of a sudden, oranges became pineapples. Sliced ones.... Prepackaged sliced ones...

I hate being ADHD sometimes...
But I hate the meds they had me on even more. (So I stopped taking them)

This will be an interesting brew! I reallllllllly hope it comes out well, cause it smelled wonderful! I was less bothered by the geyser in my closet because it made it smell so nice! Now to do something about those stains... Hmmmmm...
-Me

did you use a yeast nutrient? or are you just going with the long fermentation time?

Guess Im going to have to go for the long ferm time. Not a huge issue if the end result is worth it. Im figuring next year I will be able to wake up to a bottle of mead in my stocking :)
-Me

You can add nutrient anytime in the next few days and help your yeast do it's work. Honey and water do not have the minerals that the yeast needs for healthy fermentation. PLUS you added high acid fruit so those little babies are probably struggling right now. Be a nice Papa and give them a little boost with some nutrient.

Good call. Damn, I hope the LHBS is open tomorrow! I think Ill pick up a few packs of yeast nutrients/energizer.

Thanks for the heads up!
-Me

Back