Hop Grenade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I stop short of using the word "hop bomb" with this guilty secret of mine, but I love it nonetheless.

8 lbs of 2 row
or
8 lbs of pilsen malt

and 4 oz of cascade.
60,30,15, 10 1 oz each.

Whatever yeast you have a cake of, cheap is the motive here. WL Irish ale seems to be prevailing with me.

You can taste the hops so completely in this beer so devoid of any other flavor, that I have gotten addicted.

It is a session beer for sure, but not for my BMC buddies.

I can take this anywhere and be certain no one will sneak any, or even want to bum one. Unless of course I run into another card carrying beer snob, in which case I am glad to share.

:mug:

Then.....it would be a bit hoppier! Right on. And we now know that those dry hopped....hops can be used for the next batches 60 minute bittering! Good Call!

Wort hopping.......hmmm....how ...original.

Isn't that what I did??????

Do you mean hop mashing? I don't belive it exists.;)

No. First wort hopping (FWH) and 60 min boil hops are two different things. With first wort hopping, you add the initial hops to the collection vessel prior to drawing your wort from the mash then draw your wort from the mash onto the hops prior to adding it to the vessel. Doing this provides a smother hop profile along with a more complete hop utilization.

I probably just do not get your sarcasm, or subtle humor, If that is the case, forgive me. :p

First wort hopping, (run off straight from the mash onto hops) as eddie mentioned, really adds an additional dimension to the flavor. And it is not just additional bitterness.

With all that cascade, and no real malty-ness, it seems like the thing to do.

I hop my mash every time I brew my IPA. I have no idea what it really contributes, and Beersmith calculates very few IBUs from it, but I always add it anyway for the full hopping potential.

Thats a fine beer. I made that last year for the Smash swap that fell through, except used 10 pounds of 2-row. I wish I had some more, but I'm down to my last 6-7 bottles.

Next time I make it though, I'm going to add like 6oz of melanoidin malt, and add the hops 3/4 ounce at a time. I might also make the last addition Amarillo instead of Cascade. That much Cascades tastes a little too piney for me sometimes.

Latest posts

Back