The Bruery's Tart of Darkness - Sour Stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jipper

Reaction score
Hey All,

Wanted to make sure all HBT members were aware of the newest MoreBeer! ingredient kit: Tart of Darkness. This recipe was provided to us by The Bruery - a really cool brew pub in Orange County, CA. This brew pub was founded by Patrick Rue, who discovered his love of brewing through homebrewing! An amazing stout fermented using Wyeast's Roeselare blend. Our kit includes bourbon oak chunks in an attempt to get the recipe as close as possible (The Bruery ferments their Tart of Darkness in bourbon barrels).

These kits can be viewed here:

http://morebeer.com/search?search=kit888,kit890

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected]. Cheers!:mug:

I saw this your website earlier and ordered one. I love this beer. Thanks for working with them and putting together this kit.

Thank you emanon - we're pretty excited about this kit and are glad that we could put this together. After trying a glass of it for the first time, it instantly became one of my favorite sour beers. To be honest, there was a little bit of selfishness involved when trying to get the recipe :p

I was a little surprised when I got the response I got from their Senior Director of Brewing Operations, Tyler King. I mentioned what we were trying to do, and within one day, he responds with "Awesome! We would love to offer a recipe for your customers. Are you looking for 5 or 10 gallons, extract or all grain, etc..?"

It seems like they have a very cool group of people working at The Bruery. Within one week of asking for the recipe they had it sent over with the mash schedule, fermentation temperatures, etc. I brewed 10 gallons 2 days after the recipe was in my inbox! Check them out at www.thebruery.com

For anyone interested in brewing a sour stout, we highly recommend this kit!

Cheers

JP! I've been looking for my first sour beer batch now that my first Brett B came out well. I've loved the Bruery beers I've tried--this looks like the one!! Thanks for putting this out for us, sir.

I brewed this yesterday and I'm listening to the airlock bubble away tonight. This is my first long term fermentation beer. It will test my patience. :)

awesome! i have a bottle of this i am excited to try, and i'd love to get your kit. do you provide information on the grain bill with the kit?

Jipper,

This is great!! I am a little late in the game but I have already signed up for a reminder when the kit is in stock again.
I love the Bruery. I've been a fan of theirs for a very long time.

I was wondering...have you asked or is it even possible to get an extract recipe for the Melange 3 beer they brew? This is one of my all time favorites (you should definitely try) and it would absolutely make my day to be able to brew that beer.

Hope all is well and thanks again for providing such great kits!

Hey CABrewing,

Glad you're interested in this kit! It's a great beer, and we were just happy that The Bruery was willing to work with us on this - they're a great group over there! I can certainly ask about that Melange 3 beer to see if they're interested in working on another kit project, but I remember there were a few beers that they wanted to keep the recipe to themselves (which is completely understandable). I'll look into this though, and if they're open to it, we'll try to get another new kit out to the homebrewing world! If / when it happens, you'll see posts on here as well as on our site.

Cheers, and Happy New Year everyone!

really appreciate your work, and it's nice to support breweries and homebrew stores that are so good to our community

Jipper,
Thanks for the quick reply and all your efforts. I look forward to your response regarding the Melange 3. Completely understandable if they do not want to relinquish certain recipes :) That said, any recipes they are willing to share would be awesome in my book. The Bruery is, hands down, one of my top breweries.

On another note, have you explore a Weihenstephaner Vitus extract clone? Also another great beer which i have been unable to find a kit for quite some time.

Thanks again!

OK I just got the kit today and it looks like of includes the standard instructions that they give you with all of their beers... no special instructions for this. I'm a little confused. Jipper can you please clarify the instructions for fermentation? I plan on bottling this in time for October, so I was going to let it ferment for 9 months and add the oak chunks around May. Is it in primary the whole time? When should I bottle it? How long should it bottle condition for? Thanks in advance.

Hey Gunpowder,

Good questions. I would leave it in primary for the entire time, and bottle it when the taste is to your liking. It will get more sour the longer you let it go, but 9 months should be a good amount of time. May might be a little early for the oak, but again, how much oak you'd like is personal preference. I'd let it bottle condition for a month at least, but after a couple weeks you could try opening one to see where it stands. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers

Thank you!! After reading your post, I think I'll oak it in June, bottle in the first week of September.

Hey Jipper, one more thing:

Regarding yeast carbonation, before bottling: Do I have to pitch new yeast? If so, how much and what kind of yeast? Does it has to be the same strain of yeast used to ferment, or can I get away with Safale #5? Do I use a whole packet? Thanks again.

I made your Consecration kit about 15 months ago. I plan on bottling it in the next month or so. My idea is to make this recipe and ferment it close to FG then put it in the Consecration carboy as soon as it is taken out for bottling. Your thoughts? Not looking for an exact clone but just a good sour stout that will use my existing bugs.

Back