What is Your Efficiency - batch Spargers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mforsman said:
Consistently getting 60-62% from both my LHBS and NB. I keep changing one thing, giving it another go, checking, and pressing on. Really a bummer, time to review everything again.

If you are not milling your own grain, that is the most likely cause. I did the same thing as you; went through my process step by step to find the issue... came down to my crush.

Bought a mill, went from the low 60's to 78% on my last batch.

I suppose that's the next step. So much gear in this tiny apartment, I was hoping that I could avoid it. I'll start saving.

I suppose that's the next step. So much gear in this tiny apartment, I was hoping that I could avoid it. I'll start saving.

Bucket-mounted Corona mill takes up no extra space if you nest it inside another bucket you already have. Don't let anyone tell you they don't make good beer, either. I use one, as does Revvy and countless others. $30 shipped=can't beat it.

I'm in the 80s since getting my own mill. The turning point for me was when the LHBS gave me some bad milled grains a few times in a row.... In the 50s.

I condition most of my batches before milling and set the gap real tight - about 0.032". I use a Grain bag like BIAB so I don't need to worry about stuck sparges, even if I get a lot of flour. It's been working like a charm.

I've only been getting around 75%, but I'm happy with that. I just formulate everything around that. I recently got a 55% and I was freaking out. A few weeks later I was at my LHBS and saw the owner replacing the mill. I asked him why and he said 'the old one sucks'. Right there I realized just how important a good crush can be.

-Mike

Grasshopper, you are missing the point.

It is not important what your efficiency is, it IS important that your efficiency be consistent!

(Mine is allways a couple of points around 75%)

Agree.
I would rather have constant 70% than unsteady 80s%.

So far I am in 75-80% range, but I am still managing my process to keep it continuous.

Always between 74 and 81% for me. I crush with a Barley Crusher at its factory gap setting. I would have closer to 85% if I had less equipment loss in my mash tun.

I have done three batches with my new cooler setup (was doing BIAB before)

Batch one --
58% efficiency
what i did: mash 10 pounds grain at about 1.4quarts / pound ratio for 60 minutes, added hot water to grain. drained, added similar amount of sparge water, let sit 5 minutes drained.

Batch two --
67% efficiency
what i did: mashed 8 pounds grain at about 1.2 quarts / pound ratio for 60 minutes. added grain to hot water. added about 1 gallon near boiling water. vorlauf and drain. added 3 gallons sparge water, let sit 10 minutes, vorlauf and drain.
changes: vorlauf, added grain to water instead of vice-versa, small hot water addition before initial runoff. longer sparge time. more stirring.

Batch three --
85% efficiency
what i did: protein rest at 130, mash as usual around 150. otherwise same as batch two.
changes: protein rest, double crushed grain.

I 'm pretty certain it was the double crush that did it. Unless you're using undermodified malt, a protein rest can be a bad idea.

I have hit a batch or two at 84% but I dialed it back down to around 78%. I actually preferred the beer when I'm in that range. I use a corona mill, so that tends to be the process that impacts the efficiency the most. If I'm not paying attention during the grind, I'll get much higher than I'm actually shooting for. My equipment is really consistent, so as long as I get my volumes in the right neighborhood, I know what it's gonna give me. My Irish Red (keg emptied last night) was at 75% and it was heads and tails better than the batch that came in at 82%.

I 'm pretty certain it was the double crush that did it. Unless you're using undermodified malt, a protein rest can be a bad idea.
I was sort of ambivalent about the protein rest but went with a 15 minute protein rest. We'll see how it plays out. it was a rauchbier. I will do a double crush and no rest next time and see where I end up. High efficiency makes me happy when i'm trying to do all grain 5-gallon batches in a 5-gallon brewpot!

Everyone's efficiency will vary depending on the equipment they use and crush and whatnot. I can get around 82-85% depending on crush and the particular beer/method I use. Copper Manifold, drilled, 10 gallon rectangular cooler.

I had crazy inconstant numbers with my braided line, hopefully I can lock in on an efficiency with the manifold.

Using a 10 gallon round cooler with bazooka screen, grains crushed by Brewmasters Warehouse, my efficiency is usually between 75-80%. It depends a lot on gravity, though; for a 1.100 RIS I made recently, my efficiency was 63%.

I got 86% yesterday. I usually get low 80's, I grind my own using a corona mill, and I do mostly small beers (45-55).

80%+- a little:)
That's with adjusted water using a spreadsheet, and a corona mill crush. I use a mashout and single sparge.

Ehh well it floated and had larger holes from the paddle hitting it, I brew strong, therefore i need strong equipment.

Still should have made no difference. I once had my braid come entirely loose. all the filtering was done by the grain itself. Took a while to vorlauf, but I ended up with the same efficiency I always do.

So since I started this thread 3-1/2 weeks ago....I have brewed (3) batches.....

Looks like my total efficiency is hovering around 70% myself....

I should check mash efficiency but the brew house is fairly consistent at 75%.
Is it unusual for the mash efficiency and the brew house to be nearly the same?

Achieved 80%+ again with the double crush, but had a stuck sparge in the first runnings that i undid with the sparge. But runoff was really really slow. I think my stainless steel braid is being crushed

I should check mash efficiency but the brew house is fairly consistent at 75%.
Is it unusual for the mash efficiency and the brew house to be nearly the same?

If you've properly accounted for volume losses, that's the way it should be.

Back