Back Carb \ Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popnfrresh

Reaction score
How much dextrose should I be adding to a 4 gallon batch to carbonate? Is the amount scalable?

Do I need to dissolve in water?

Is it better to add frozen concentrate?

If so, which is good to get? Anything without any preservatives?

Any other advice on preventing bottle bombs? Should I fill a plastic bottle to check when done?

What should be SG be of the pre-bottled? ( I have a refractometer for precise measurement)

If I add a precise amount do I need to pastuerize? ( I am trying to prevent if I can)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much xylitol do I need to add to 4 gallons to make it semi-sweet?

What was your FG? you'll need to pasteurize if it's not dry.

I added 3-12 oz cans of concentrate to my roughly 4.75 gallon batch that increased my gravity by about ten points. A drop of about 4 points in bottle will carb to beer levels. This particular yeast was not at tolerance yet so it took less than a day to carb at room temp.
I would bottle at least one in a plastic bottle to keep track and look on it often -safety first!

I wouldn't dissolve in water personally. But yes don't add anything with preservatives.

SG can be whatever you prefer- do you want it dry (.99x) or sweet (1.015+)? But whatever you choose will determine your process, as I stated above. Even if it's at 1.000, that doesn't mean it can't drop further, and adding more sugar on top of that can be dangerous if you're not watching it.

I believe it's 3/4 cup corn sugar to 1 cup water, boiled for a few min, then rack onto that in your bottling bucket after it's cooled. Maybe a little more if you want sparkling? Sorry I thought you were talking about adding water in general - tired eyes!

I want to use xylitol for the sweetness and dextrose FCAJ/dextrose for the carbonation. Looking for a semi sweet and carbonated cider.

Right now is fermenting at about 64 degrees. Can I lower it to 60 safely? I have plenty of time.

Yes easily. Cider is completely fermentable so lower temps won't stall fermentation nearly as easily

Back