How do you recirculate your mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
So I have a new direct-fire mashtun from an old keggle. I set up a port towards the top to return the wort while recirculating with a pump. My question is, how should I terminate the return? Right now its just has a male camlock screwed into the bulkhead. I was thinking of just running some silicon tubing from the camlock to the water level but I am wondering if this will cause issue with creating a tunnel effect from the water coming out like a hose into the mash.

I was considering a copper ring with holes in the bottom like a fly sparge type thing. But I didn't know if having wort trickling through the air would cause any type of aeration issues and or cool the temp down by having the wort fall a foot through the air.

Anyway, any suggestions and or pictures of how you do it would be very helpful.

Thanks all.

check out loc-line. BobbyM sells some on brewhardware.com. They also have a nice website. You can get it all different set ups. Is flexible so adjusts well to varying batch sizes.

I've got both a lockine and a silicone hose. Both work fine and dandy. I futzed with return manifolds for a while, but so long as you've got an inch of water or so above your grain bed it doesn't really matter.

Is the loc line the same ID as the silicone tubing we all use? I'd hate to restrict the flow.

Also it says the loc-line has a max temp of 170F. When raising temps to mash out 168F, I'd think you'd be exceeding 170F. See any issues here?

No, that limit is really based on long term constant exposure. The manufacturer told me the worse thing that would happen up to 200 would be some sagging on an extended horizontal extension. The locline I use on the "mashtube" is 1/2" id.

No, that limit is really based on long term constant exposure. The manufacturer told me the worse thing that would happen up to 200 would be some sagging on an extended horizontal extension. The locline I use on the "mashtube" is 1/2" id.

Bobby. I want to get one of your kits. Can you swap the existing camlock with a Type D since I already have a male connect on the return valve?

Can you invoice me at gregghart at gmail dot com

Actually does the 90 degree just pop off so I can leave the thread part screwed in all the time and then just remove the whole line to clean/dry? THat would be better and save money.

Here is what I do. Got the idea from the electricbrewery.com

IMG_5230.jpg

Back