hole in hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I just received a big bag of hops for an IIPA I am brewing in a week from NB. When it came in there was a small hole in the hop bag. I know they are supposed to be vacuum sealed. I put it in a ziploc bag and put them in the fridge. A week is not enough time for this to hurt these hops any is it?

I'm new to this so I just assumed the freezer would be just for long term storage. But if it doesn't do any harm I can definitely put them in there. Should I always put them in the freezer? How about the specialty grains?

I always put my hops in the freezer. Even if it's for a few days. I have space in there, and it's the best choice, so why not? The oils in hops are somewhat ephemeral, so I do what I can to preserve them.

Specialty grains I don't worry as much about, although I mill my own grains. If I knew I wasn't going to use them for a while, like a couple of months, and they were already milled, I'd probably put them in the freezer then, or at least vacuum seal them.

For me, I always put yeast in the fridge and everything else in the freezer till brew day. But I'm odd that way.

Back