Who here likes/dislikes Coopers ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Apparently it's about all I can get from my supplier here in Hawaii. I'm new so what do folks think about it? A good all around ale yeast?

I like it fine. It won't be great for certain types of beers like wits or high gravity, but most everything else I use it for and it works good. I would recommend doing a starter though.

I don't like it. I would buy a few strains and start washing them. Will save you lots of money in the long run, plus turns out a better product.

I just want to clarify with the OP, are you talking about packets of Coopers yeast that are sold as part of a Coopers canned kit or are you talking about buying individual packets of Coopers yeast from you LHBS? Part of my concern, with any yeast, would be how old the packet is.

I don't necessarily think it's the greatest yeast ever, but it seems to be a little more tolerant of high temps, without tasting off, and overall gets the job done for a lot of beers.

Really, I think you could do worse. If Coopers is all you have, Coopers is what you use. I would look into ways to control you fermentation temperature, make sure you are pitching enough yeast, not difficult with dry yeast, and practice sound cleaning and sanitation techniques. If you can do all that and there's still an issue, then worry about the Coopers yeast, but, like I said, I haven't found any particular issue with Coopers.

I just used a 7g packet of coopers yeast because the pack of nottingham i got with my recipe was in the recall thats just been going on. the coopers worked fabulously. i dont think it will be a problem for you. i made an ESB

well my experience with coopers is pretty positive. I dont think you will have any problem with it. I dont think it has a reputation as asuper high quality yeast, but its definitely nothing to sneeze at either. I dont see much difference between it and other "higher quality" yeasts. Its really really fast too.

My dad and I are both homebrewers and we use Coopers all the time, I used to use Safale US04, that ship has sailed, the US04 was over twice the price of the Coopers. I have just as good of results with the Coopers as US04.
My .02

I just want to clarify with the OP, are you talking about packets of Coopers yeast that are sold as part of a Coopers canned kit or are you talking about buying individual packets of Coopers yeast from you LHBS? Part of my concern, with any yeast, would be how old the packet is.

I don't necessarily think it's the greatest yeast ever, but it seems to be a little more tolerant of high temps, without tasting off, and overall gets the job done for a lot of beers.

Really, I think you could do worse. If Coopers is all you have, Coopers is what you use. I would look into ways to control you fermentation temperature, make sure you are pitching enough yeast, not difficult with dry yeast, and practice sound cleaning and sanitation techniques. If you can do all that and there's still an issue, then worry about the Coopers yeast, but, like I said, I haven't found any particular issue with Coopers.

+1 for sure... cooper's can be great but kits are a flake

I had a bad cooper's yeast (under the lid w/ the kit sachet). That's the only batch I ever had get completely stuck at 1.024 (a stout).

Guess what idiot bottled it anyways?

Guess what one batch in my brewing history actually exploded in the case?

Now if it was fresh, that'd be a different story. And I had several of my newbie Cooper's kits turn out fully attenuated.

I would see what options you have to ship it over there, and see if you can't get a small stash of Notty, Windsor, and several Fermentis strains to give you some flexibility and longevity. You can wash dry yeast after racking from primary and follow the 'yeast bank' guides here to recover the initial investment over the long-term.

(Hell you could probably make money by selling to other local homebrewers)

Good summer brewing yeast. Very tolerant of high temps. It's what I keep in the fridge for emergencies, should my fermentation not start or anything like that.

No complaints. Just have to take it for what it is, a dried English style yeast. I have been able to ferment as low as 60 degrees to suppress some of the esters. After learning it's attenuation it was pretty easy to figure out how much sugar is needed in place of extract to drop the gravity for something a little drier.

Cooper's kits have produced good to very good brews here in Hawai`i. Since that is the only kit's we can buy here on O`ahu perhaps they are fresher than those on the mainland.

I'm trying to clone their Sparkling Ale and will be looking for a pack of their ale yeast on-line.

Try Midwest,they have the gold cooper's ale sachet for something like $1.75. I think it's a very noob tolerant yeast. It can take temp extremes within reason. It produces fruity esters,which is desirable in English ales. Just use hops that have floral,spicy,earthy notes,& it'll be great.

Try Midwest,they have the gold cooper's ale sachet for something like $1.75. I think it's a very noob tolerant yeast. It can take temp extremes within reason. It produces fruity esters,which is desirable in English ales. Just use hops that have floral,spicy,earthy notes,& it'll be great.

Thanks, and they will ship USPP for only $6. I visited one site that would ship it via FEXEX for only $23. Shoots what a bargain that is. :ban:

Cool. I can't complain about cooper's ale yeast,as long as it's at least re-hydrated 1st. It'll start better & harder that way,from what I've experienced so far.

I love Coopers yeast because I like to brew 2½-gallon batches of low-gravity all-grain beer on my stovetop, so I don't need a lot of yeast. This size is just right. It's reliable and tastes fine. The price is also good. I live in a hot climate with no brew stores near me, so I do mail order. Liquid yeast is not an option for mail order for me in this hot climate. I'm happy using this yeast for most every beer I make.

I've used it everytime as well. My wife used the US-05 on her 1st,& it didn't perform any better pitched dry at some 11.5g than my cooper's 7g in a 1 1/2C starter. And that starter was only 3.5 hours old.
This last time,with my IPA recipe,It the same size starter sat for 6 hours! It blew off very hard for about 2 days! It's working more peacefully now. So,I'd say,try to keep the small starter for that 7g sachet down to 4 hours. It'll keep the brew temps down.
Of course,if the A/C worked....

I really like it the Coopers Dry Yeast. I used it recently in a porter and it was very nice. Earthy, slightly fruity, but otherwise quite complimentary to the beer. I'd use it again for sure.

Also, something I've learned since then, Cooper's has their ale yeast in 15g packets, available from Midwest or Northern Brewer. Fresher too! I also just rehydrate dry yeasts in 400mL of spring water @ 80-90F now. Pitched at high krausen it takes off quick & finishes well.

I neither like nor dislike Coopers yeast.....have used it in distant past, worked fine. If I needed yeast and fresh packs of their yeast were available, I would consider using it, but I wouldn't go out my way to search it out, or anything. I love dry yeast, it's virtually foolproof if it's been handled well until you get it. Brew up, rehydrate the yeast, and away you go....I can't be bothered with starters, have had 100% success with rehydrated dried yeast over the many years...perhaps just dumb luck, dunno, but it is what it is

Back