Stick with me on this one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
So I bought a truck a year ago in april. Then in September of last year i got a new job. The new job gave me a car and gas. I have put about 1000 miles on my truck since last September. I just sold it on friday, it should all be finalized either monday or tuesday. After the truck is paid off I should have about 700 profit that i did not tell the wife about:mug: .

Here comes the lumbar for the bar and mini fridge for keg conversion MUUUUAAAWWWAAHAHAAHAA!!!!!:rockin:

I can just hear it now, "honey, where did you get the lumbar for your bar you have been wanting to build?"

So, my question to all of you is this: What is my answer to that?

Surely not the truth, i will most likely then be told to do what ever i want with the money since it was my truck, but that it could be put into savings for a trip or some throw pillows or some crap like that.

What is a guy to do?

I really could get myself a nice bar set up and convert myself to AG brewing with that. I guess it helps i can do the woodworking myself, as far as costs go.

Reverend

ya honesty is the best policy. true BUT...... come on throw pillows? nah... look her straight in the eyes and tell her "it was your birthday gift from her next year" now she is off the hook!!!
JJ

You could always go with my backup plan whenever I get into some extra money; Just tell her "I sell drugs". After I wipe her laugh spittle off my face, then I tell her the truth and all is well.

Or, maybe honesty is best. Will the stuff cost exactly $700, or will it be less? For instance, if it cost $600, one way you could put it is "Honey, it cost $600, but I've SAVED $100! It was an awesome deal!"

Do you have a change jar somewhere in the house? Just sit down one night and start rollin' coin. Add whatever you rolled to your total for lumber and you can honestly *cough* tell her that you paid for it with the coins you rolled. :D

As long as you're not spending money you actually NEED for something else, I don't see the big deal. And of she would spend it on throw pillows, that seems to be the case.

Anyway, I'd tell her in passing. Just say, hey - I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick of some lumber so I can start working on that bar - need anything?

Honesty is always the best policy i agree. I was honest when i told her about the original profit, but then it just worked out that there was going to be an extra 700 bucks. Its not really money we need for anything, and im not sure that what i need will cost exactly 700 bucks. good idea on buying the flowers for her. sometimes a guy can forget about that. And no, i dont think she would really buy 700 bucks worth of throw pillows but there is alot of craft items and crap that she would concider.

We are generally pretty frugle (cheap) which is why i think she will poopoo my bar construction plans. perhaps a little at a time. every couple of days i come home with some sushi for her and some bar materials for me:mug:

If you need to lie to SWMBO, well, then, my friend...

You own the house? Sell the project to her as a home improvement that you'll both be able to enjoy and that will increase the value of the house. But if she catches you in a lie - that's not good, my friend, not good at all. That just opens up cans upon cans o' worms.

the_bird said:
If you need to lie to SWMBO, well, then, my friend...

You own the house? Sell the project to her as a home improvement that you'll both be able to enjoy and that will increase the value of the house. But if she catches you in a lie - that's not good, my friend, not good at all. That just opens up cans upon cans o' worms.

I like his thinkin'! Don't lie, but don't say ANYTHING until after the wood has been purchased and cut.

I think they key may be to limit the dollars spent on the project to $400 - $500, max. Then, just start working on it. She questions you, you can say straight-up honestly that you made a little bit of profit when you sold the truck, so you're putting a little bit of that money into the house and a little bit into the savings account. Should not be a need to lie at all.

jaybird said:
and with the extra 100 bones take her out on the town and damn it "BUY HER FLOWERS" its flippen amazing what flowers will getcha
JJ

Dude, take her out to buy SHOES and you will rule the world. Seriously. "Honey, I made $700 by dealing cleverly in the sale of my truck. I only needed 6 hunnie though, so I thought we'd go get you a pimpin' handbag or some nice shoes...hmmm?" (Make sure you're ready for lovemakin' at this point.)

Yeah, a wise man once said " women are great house keepers. You get a divorce and they keep the house".

Ok, I think i need to clarify. It is not that spending the extra cash on the bar and AG brewing equipment will make her flip out, it is just easier to have the material magically show up than it is to say "hey, i just spent x on this"

I understand about honesty, trust me. And we, or at least I, never keep anything from her. But we each have a secret stash of cash to spend on what ever we want. mine is what ever i can sneak by, usually like 50 to 100 bucks, hers is my bank account.

I would never out and out lie, but i may not tell the whole truth. there is a big difference:) :) and never about anything serious. just a couple hundred bucks, for **** sake i put 1700 in the bank.

well on that note then......

sometimes its easier to ask for forgivenes, than it is for permission

Latest posts

Back