Starsan safe for skin contact?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starsan that is diluted properly in water is fine with bare hands. Undiluted, i would avoid contact. IIRC, my local brewhouse expert said he doesn't use the stuff anymore because of a previous acid burn.

I shake it up and make a big foam hat (like when you were 2, in the tub) and plop it on my bald head, no ill effects yet.:drunk:

I find that it dries my hands out just a bit at the end of a brew day. Other than that, I think you should be fine. Just keep your junk out of it...

I typically have dry skin in the winter-time. Star San is always rough on my skin. Combine dry weather with Star San, and right now my right hand has open sores. I guess everyone is different, but I plan on going to a more gentler option when I'm thru with this bottle.

The good type of crabs, the season is about to begin in San Francisco, that means i'll get stuck with 10-20 to boil and clean. A PITA after a while but heck the're free off my friends boat.

Corn Huskers lotion a heavy duty hand treatment sure works great the past 30 years working outside in the winter. Also great after automotive parts cleaning or the use of strong cleaners that remove your natural hand oils.
No more split skin at the base of the fingernails, you know the ones that hurt for days.

I used gloves first time I used it, but I've using it sans gloves since. I do typically rinse off a little when I'm done, just to be safe.

I spilled some undiluted on my hands once, it was not a pleasant burning sensation, but didn't burn the skin, after it was rinsed off, I continued brewing.

Ive gotten some of the diluted star san in my mouth. I'm still alive and beer still tastes as good as ever.

I started using yellow dishwashing gloves when I'm going to be handling it a lot, like, say, when I bottle. I was finding that the skin on my hands kept peeling if I used my bare hands.

Much happier now.

Incidentally, whenever I see pictures of pro brewers working, they always have gloves on. They handle it all the time, but they may be on to something.

I suppose if my job involved handling sanitizer all day I would probably wear gloves, but so far I have not quit my day job.

Back