Mysterious Keg leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
has anyone ever had one of their kegs just spontaneously spring a leak? I came home today and there was a puddle of beer on the floor surrounding one of my kegs, I checked all the seals and cleaned up the mess, but couldn't find the leak.

Upon closer examination it turns out the keg had a pin sized hole spontaneously appear in the metal on the bottom and leaked out about 2 gallons of beer due to the pressure inside the keg pushing it out. After the pressure equalized it slowed to a few drips a minute and almost went undetected.

Has anyone else ever seen this happen or is this something weird that has only happened to me?

Nope. So far, all of my spontaneous leakage problems have been from poppet valves. But, metal does corrode.

I have only heard of this on used kegs that were frequently cleaned or soaked in a chlorine solution. The chlorine will corrode and sometimes puncture very small holes in the SS keg walls. do you use A chlorine / water mix to clean your kegs?

-DIG

OK, now I have to peel the rubber off and jb weld it then put the rubber back on, the hole was so hard for me to find because it was also in the rubber foot.... Any tips for getting that back on?

Never had to take the rubber foot off a cornie...I would probably JB weld that too unless someone with more experience advised differently.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Back