1056 ester profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I have a dead ringer IPA fermenting in my chest freezer chamber with a temp controller..I insulated the probe to the side and saran wrapped it in place..The starting temp was 62*F it seemed to stall so i raised it to 65-66*F it took off and had blow off..Its smells of heavy banana when i open the chest freezer..Im not worried about it but i chose this yeast cause i was told it ferments very clean with mild ester production..Could it be my temp controller is inaccurate?..either way im sure the beer will be drinkable and this is not a "is my beer ruined thread" just curious about the ester profile of wy1056 if banana is normal with this strain..Im shocked cause its producing more banana then the belgian 1388 i just brewed with..cheers

I've done a few brews with wy1056, and I haven't noticed a strong banana smell.

you may want to check your temp controller to see if the temp is actually where it is set to. that would be a good idea for everyone, actually.

I've never gotten a banana smell with that yeast, but I usually try to keep it in the low 60s.

1056 is usually a very clean yeast and doesn't leave much in esters, especially banana, if you ferment it in the recommended temperature range. It's possible your ambient temperature was set at 65 - 66 and your fermenting beers temperature was in the 70's.

you may want to check your temp controller to see if the temp is actually where it is set to. that would be a good idea for everyone, actually.

I've never gotten a banana smell with that yeast, but I usually try to keep it in the low 60s.

I just checked it and its right where i set it at 65 with 1* differential..Its weird cause my freezer did not cycle hardly at all today

1056 is usually a very clean yeast and doesn't leave much in esters, especially banana, if you ferment it in the recommended temperature range. It's possible your ambient temperature was set at 65 - 66 and your fermenting beers temperature was in the 70's.

I used one of the portable cooler bags and folded it a few times and saran wrapped the probe to the side of the bucket..So i would be suprised if its measuring the ambient air..the temp controller has been steady all day..maybe my temp controller is a lemon.

I use 1056 and switched to 1272. I get mostly fruity aromas that could be perceived as banana aromas when I do my starter's but it never transfers over to the beers taste. I really wouldn't worry about it unless you start smelling sour apples, metallic or bad aromas.

Here is the link to the Wyeast site.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=5

Yeah something is up then cause i dont have low fruitiness ..i have heavy fruit..must be a defective temp controller..i will see what happens

Another thing to bear in mind is that the smells and aromas given off by fermentation, not always but quite often, signify the escape of certain compounds meaning that their presence isn't detectable in the finished beer.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the smells and aromas given off by fermentation, not always but quite often, signify the escape of certain compounds meaning that their presence isn't detectable in the finished beer.

Yeah i figured that..just venting byproducts..i put a thermometer in there its at 64*F and the controller reads 66*F ..i think im good to go..might even raise it to 68*F in a week or 2..thanks

Is this not just diacetyl? try keeping your beer in primary for a few days after you have hit your FG to do a diacetyl rest at those temperatures and the banana flavour cleans up.

I use 1056 very often and haven't noticed any STRONG ester aromas. It is a very clean fermenting yeast. What was your pitch rate? I'm guessing you may have under pitched a bit because any yeast strain that has to go through many reproductive cycles and grow a bunch during fermentation will produce more fruity esters than the strain otherwise would if there had been enough healthy yeast cells at the beginning. I'll bet if you doubled your pitch rate and kept everything else the same you would lose that banana smell entirely.

I bet (hope) that beer is no longer sitting in the fermenter... Post is from March 2013. ;)

i use 1056 pretty consistently and have gotten these banana aromas also...my first thought was infection but figured i'd wait it out (mainly too lazy to dump it) and it turned out fine. what i actually was smelling was my stopper which i used for a belgian a few batches ago...point being, maybe (hopefully) you're just smelling a not so clean a stopper and not the beer.

Back