cooler mash tun conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST_BREW_IT

Reaction score
I converted this large igloo marine cooler into a mash tun today. Did a leak test and it sealed up right. the problem I'm running into here is that my barb suits close to 2" above the bottom of the cooler leaving behind a significant amount of liquid. could I do a street elbow here and create a dip tube effect like some do with their kettles? here are some pics

20130313_180841.jpg

20130313_205906.jpg

Thanks guys!

Absolutely, that's what I had to do to mine. I use a different cooler, and my spout hole sits below the floor of the cooler rather than above. Same idea though. In your case there would be a siphon effect but it would get you to the same end point. And that's more beer!

Absolutely, that's what I had to do to mine. I use a different cooler, and my spout hole sits below the floor of the cooler rather than above. Same idea though. In your case there would be a siphon effect but it would get you to the same end point. And that's more beer!

Thanks partner. I'll have to pick one up tomorrow

Back