fat tuesday brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday was Fat Tuesday,& I brewed up version2 of my hopped & confused ale that thinks it's a light lager. I used WLP029 German ale/kolsh yeast that started life at 64F,up to about 65F this morning. Yeasts' range being 65-69F,it's all good. And since I got to use my new paint strainer bag to mash in,efficiency went up. OG's were 1.043-1.044,yesterday went up to 1.055! My thinsulate lined hunting coat was perfect to wrap the kettle in for the 1 hour mash. I gained 1 degree,rather than loosing ,say,5 degrees. So next time,I can get the mash up to 152F,& wind up at 153F after the mash. Finally fixed the two problems I was having with PM. Who else brewed on Fat Tuesday?:tank:

Not too many. I wish I could have but I was doing a full day of student teaching. Now that it's Ash Wednesday, we're supposed to give up something for lent. I wish I could go on the trappist beer diet for lent but the school district would frown on that.

I'm gunna give up on vodka for drinkin. Save it for the airlocks. Passed out yesterday,& had to salvage the boil. All's well though. Gotta give up some more weight too. But the hunting coat wrapped around the mash kettle was def a good idea. Worked perfectly.

unionrdr said:
Yesterday was Fat Tuesday,& I brewed up version2 of my hopped & confused ale that thinks it's a light lager. I used WLP029 German ale/kolsh yeast that started life at 64F,up to about 65F this morning. Yeasts' range being 65-69F,it's all good. And since I got to use my new paint strainer bag to mash in,efficiency went up. OG's were 1.043-1.044,yesterday went up to 1.055! My thinsulate lined hunting coat was perfect to wrap the kettle in for the 1 hour mash. I gained 1 degree,rather than loosing ,say,5 degrees. So next time,I can get the mash up to 152F,& wind up at 153F after the mash. Finally fixed the two problems I was having with PM. Who else brewed on Fat Tuesday?:tank:

I brewed a Brewer's Best American Amber extract kit, it's my 2nd batch. Still a rookie, lol!!!

When it comes to brewing,you're never too old or experienced to learn something new. I'm a rookie of sorts when it comes to mashing & all it entails. But at least the hunting coat & paint strainer bag solved the two problems I was having with partial mash. Namely,holding mash temp & being able to stir the mash for greater efficiency.
Now I still use two kettles,but have only one burner going instead of two. A 4 gallon stock pot for HLT,& my 5 gallon one as MLT/BK.

Back