Carbonation increasing in Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigo_Carpathian

Reaction score
Recently I kegged for the first time and everything seemed fine. I primed the keg, let it sit for a couple weeks, hooked it up in my kegerator, waited a couple days, and then pulled off the first glass. It came out perfectly carbonated and kept doing so for a couple weeks. Then, for some reason, the carbonation appeared to change as all I get now is foam. I have a 7 foot line on the beer side. I changed the delivery pressure from 13psi to 10psi to help minimize the pressure drop, but that didn't work. I do have a tower, but if I needed a tower cooler, the beer should have been all foam the whole time instead of changing after two weeks. Is there something I'm missing here? Should I just bleed off the pressure and bring it back to 10psi, hoping that works? Thanks.

Bleed all pressure from the keg, set serving to 4-6 PSI, then pull a pint. You might have to discard the first few ounces, rinse glass then fill the pint. If it's still foamy, the beer may be overcarbonated. If you can serve it at 2PSI without issues, do that for a while until it returns to better carb levels. Or you can take it off the gas and bleed it a few times a day for a few days, then try a pint served at a low PSI first. If this works and is carbed where you want it, raise to serving PSI and try.

tre9er said:
Bleed all pressure from the keg, set serving to 4-6 PSI, then pull a pint. You might have to discard the first few ounces, rinse glass then fill the pint. If it's still foamy, the beer may be overcarbonated. If you can serve it at 2PSI without issues, do that for a while until it returns to better carb levels. Or you can take it off the gas and bleed it a few times a day for a few days, then try a pint served at a low PSI first. If this works and is carbed where you want it, raise to serving PSI and try.

I just did this and it worked. I bled all the pressure and then brought it back up to 6 psi. Poured a glass and back to normal. Thanks.

Back