How to increase my ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
So,...

My first go at BIAB and I think I have a problem. I am doing a Belgian Wit, and my SG was not what it should be (1.034). Now it appears that my fermentation has ground to a halt at 1.014, giving me a ABV of about 2.6%,...not exactly what I was after.

Is there anyway I can save this?, could I possibly do a secondary fermentation by adding more sugar (like Belgian Candi) to get the fermentation going again?, or is this a lost cause.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

You can add regular table sugar if you like. It will increase the ABV, but it will also thin the body and dry it out.

So,...

My first go at BIAB and I think I have a problem. I am doing a Belgian Wit, and my SG was not what it should be (1.034). Now it appears that my fermentation has ground to a halt at 1.014, giving me a ABV of about 2.6%,...not exactly what I was after.

Is there anyway I can save this?, could I possibly do a secondary fermentation by adding more sugar (like Belgian Candi) to get the fermentation going again?, or is this a lost cause.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

boil a lb of DME into a quart or two of water, cool and add to your fermentor... voila more fermentables

Agreed. Belgian candi is a nice addition for bigger beers with more body or character, but since your BIAB came in a pretty thin at the start, it wouldn't be a great idea to dry it out even further. It's far too light for regular table sugar, you'll get a strong presence of the cidery flavor you want to avoid. Your best bet is DME or, if you must just sugar, use sugar with something to it, like brown sugar or dark candi.

boil a lb of DME into a quart or two of water, cool and add to your fermentor... voila more fermentables

So would the best bet be to use Wheat DME, given its a wheat beer, or can I just get away with a Light DME?. Off to the LHBS soon, so can get whatever is most appropriate.

So would the best bet be to use Wheat DME, given its a wheat beer, or can I just get away with a Light DME?. Off to the LHBS soon, so can get whatever is most appropriate.

if it's a wheat beer, use wheat DME , it will be closer to style

Back