freezing propane tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
Now that I am using a Banjo KAB6 burner, I've been having problems with my propane tank freezing 1/2 through the boil. I've read that getting a large tank will help, but after just buying a 2nd 20lb tank, I'm reluctant to spend $80 on another one. I've thought of getting a bucket large enough to hold the tank and put hot water in it. Anyone have better ideas?

I went with the larger tank. You could try hot water around the valve. If you have enough of it you might keep it open.

I bought a second tank for that exact same reason. Now I always brew with two tanks and switch out when one freezes up.

First time I froze it up I thought it was empty and brought it for a refill. The propane guy laughed and told me it was still half full.

I also find tipping/rocking it helps but not sure if this is dangerous.

yes the water is the way to go. the reason it is freezing is because of the volume of gas flowing through the valve. I am a welder and every time I put on a new argon tank and do alot of heavy welding I get the same thing, I use a wet rag to help.

sounds tricky figuring out where the "won't explode" distance is. :D

Having been a fireman, I've see 100 lb cylinders setting next to a burning building. The small cylinders have a pressure safety release so they don't explode but they really push out a long blue flame when the pressure relief goes off. You don't want to be in line with it as the flame will reach out 30 feet.

If you have an old electric blanket or a back heating pad, those would work too.

I always use a bucket of water for my tank and if i have any hot water to spare along the way i add that to help also a good shaking will help as well, i would like to fine a way tk connect all my 20lb tanks together so it pulls off of multiple tanks to keep them from freezing.

I find that mine freezes at propane level. It does not seem to be evaporating since it is so cold. setting it in water seems to help. Does not seem to be freezing as bad when the cylendar is fuller. Water bath it is for me now.

I think the easier cheaper solution would be to get a y or t connector to tie the 2 tanks together. This will allow you to pull 1/2 the volume of propane from each tank which should prevent your freezing problem.

I think the easier cheaper solution would be to get a y or t connector to tie the 2 tanks together. This will allow you to pull 1/2 the volume of propane from each tank which should prevent your freezing problem.

The T-fitting will see the same amount of temperature decrease though. May freeze. (or not).

MC

Likely a moot point by now but... the problem was the size of tank combined with the ambient temperature and output volume of LP. The solution would be to have a larger LP tank which would have more "wet surface" inside the tank. The propane is boiling inside the tank to a vapor once you open the valve. If the rate is to high (and the ambient temperature is to low) the liquid propane will turn into a block of ice. A larger tank will have more liquid surface and not freeze as quickly. I would suggest at least a 30 pound (or larger) tank.

Fixed it for you. You're releasing a compressed gas into air, so the volume is increased.

The opposite makes sense: Compress a gas, the temperature increases.

MC

Correct - I did misspeak. In this case the Volume of the container remains constant, so as the pressure decreases, temperature mest also decrease.

"The propane is boiling inside the tank to a vapor once you open the valve. If the rate is to high (and the ambient temperature is to low) the liquid propane will turn into a block of ice."

Here's the deal. LP changes state at -307 F. Unless, a Cascade system is used to solidify the LP. The LP will never turn to a "block of ice" in a cylinder connected to a burner, on this planet. At about -40 F, LP hits equilibrium at atmospheric. That means that you can pour the LP on the ground and it won't boil off. Brewing at the North Pole would be a big problem, unless heat was applied to the cylinder. That's why Santi Clause uses reindeer, instead of LP for fuel in his red sled. Merry Christmas to all and to all, I'll pour me another beer.

Back