Ordering Grains - Mash vs Steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanez28

Reaction score
As I understand it there is little relative difference between mashing and steeping as far as the process is concerned. I noticed when shopping for grains online, many suppliers reference whether the grain should be mashed or steeped and they sometimes don't mention either.

All of the brewing I have been doing for the last year or so has led me to start developing a recipe of my own, from scratch, based on what I would like the beer to turn out being like and based on what I should expect from the ingredients (both individually and as a combined whole).

Right now this is just a "hypothetical" recipe on paper. I plan on brewing some recipes that have a part of their final style that I would like my beer to have. By playing with the ingredients, to a degree, and seeing what the results are I can adjust my recipe.

All of that being said, should I concern myself with mash vs. steep when ordering a grain? If I use a base malt in my recipe that is to be mashed, can I add a malt that is to be steeped to the mash and not worry about it?

As I understand it there is little relative difference between mashing and steeping as far as the process is concerned. I noticed when shopping for grains online, many suppliers reference whether the grain should be mashed or steeped and they sometimes don't mention either.

All of the brewing I have been doing for the last year or so has led me to start developing a recipe of my own, from scratch, based on what I would like the beer to turn out being like and based on what I should expect from the ingredients (both individually and as a combined whole).

Right now this is just a "hypothetical" recipe on paper. I plan on brewing some recipes that have a part of their final style that I would like my beer to have. By playing with the ingredients, to a degree, and seeing what the results are I can adjust my recipe.

All of that being said, should I concern myself with mash vs. steep when ordering a grain? If I use a base malt in my recipe that is to be mashed, can I add a malt that is to be steeped to the mash and not worry about it?

Yes, if you're mashing anyway it doesn't matter if a grain should be steeped or mashed. But if you're not using enough base malt, then it would be an issue.

Do you use any software when your formulate recipes? Mine (Beersmith) has a feature where you get a (!) next to grains that must be mashed that won't go away unless you have a partial mash checked. It also tells you which grains must be mashed, and which can be steeped, making it very easy to use.

I'm using qBrew in Linux for now. I saw one of the more popular programs the other day had a Linux version available so I may get that soon.

Thank you for the information. I would swear some retailers over complicate things just to get you to buy more stuff.

I use Beersmith on Ubuntu linux, and it's one of my indespensible brewing tools.
And Yooper's right about your actual question :D

Back