IIPA suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm a huge fan of Green Flash. I feel like just about everything they make is m'mmm good. I'd love to take a crack at their Imperial IPA. Here's what I have so far.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My GF IIPA:

5.5Gal

12# muntons extra light DME (9# late addition)
6oz crystal 60
6oz crystal 40
1# corn sugar

90min - 1oz summit
60min - 3/4oz summit
45min - 1/2oz summit
45min - 1/2oz nugget
30min - 1oz nugget
30min - 3/8oz summit
10min - 1/2oz nugget
10min - 3/8oz summit
0min - 1oz summit
DH - 1oz nugget (10days)
DH - 2.5oz summit (10days)

WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

GF West Coast IPA contains a whopping 15% cara- malts... and I'm not sure on this next part, but I believe it is mashed rather high when compared to it's WC cousins... Not really West Coast at all when you think about it. For the fermentables in an extract version, I'd probably just go with something more like your recipe; adding half the DME late in the boil and using 10-12% total sugar (so reduce your total DME and boost your sugar %).

I don't think it begins at 1.091 OG; that seems quite high for a beer that ends up being only 7.3% abv. I'm guessing it starts between 1.070-1.073 OG. I would want to get that FG much lower than 1.019... shouldn't be too difficult.

No need for a 90 minute boil for extract. Reduce to 60 and pile on those late additions. For the hops, they use Columbus, Centennial, and Cascade for sure. Not sure where you got Summit and Nugget from but that is not to say they might be added in small amounts and GF is simply not disclosing this info on their website. I would add Simcoe to the C hops if anything.

I put together a GF IIPA kit for the shop I was working with and the hop schedule was very similar to what you have there. The sugars were 9lb xlight dme and 1lb corn sugar. A 90 minute boil was used as well as 001 or 090 for the yeast. That should get you in the ballpark. Summit hops are definitely utilized in this beer... unless you know of something else with similar pungency. Good luck!

Hey Bob, thanks for the tips but I'm shooting for the GF Imperial IPA not the GF West Coast IPA. The label says Summit and Nugget, so that's how I ended up with those hop additions in there. No doubt that GFWC IPA is one tasty brew.

cnealey, that is great to hear! I'm super-psyched that I'm heading in the right direction. Did you have any specialty grains in that kit? If so, what kinds and how much?

Back