Kegging for vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briano

Reaction score
I'm going on vacation in 4 weeks.I'm new to kegging.I have two, 2 1/2 gallon mini kegs to take with me.I have them both on a 5 lbs. Co2 bottle set at about 20-21 psi for carbonation.Should I leave it at this pressure until I go on vacation or back it off to about 8-10 psi in a few days and leave it at that til I go.

I'm going on vacation in 4 weeks.I'm new to kegging.I have two, 2 1/2 gallon mini kegs to take with me.I have them both on a 5 lbs. Co2 bottle set at about 20-21 psi for carbonation.Should I leave it at this pressure until I go on vacation or back it off to about 8-10 psi in a few days and leave it at that til I go.

It depends on the temperature you have them at. At fridge temps, it would be around 10-12 psi. At room temps, it would be more like 30 psi.

Once they are fully carbed up (in a couple of weeks), you can take them off of the gas if you want.

Since the vacation isn't for 4 weeks, I'd back it off to the 12 psi or so pressure so that they'll carb up with zero chance of overcarbonation. You've got enough time that there's no reason to rush it...

Back